Why Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanMan48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(First of all, I have searched through this forum and I am aware of the post that was recently put up asking "why did you pick optometry". Unfortunately, my question wasn't directly answered, plus I'm not looking for help on a personal statement. I apologize for cluttering up this forum, but hopefully my post and any answers to it will be helpful to others looking for some advice.)

I'm a current freshman in college who is a weighing the options of a career in a health-oriented occupation. I'm learning everything I can about the possible paths I'm interested in. Right now I'm having a hard time deciding between applying for medical school or applying for optometry school. I have an interest in direct patient care (not surgery or anything). I enjoy the "treatment" part of healthcare as it refers to helping others (naivety?). I want to know why others might have picked optometry, and whether and why you picked optometry over medical school? Are you happy with your choice? What part of optometry interested you enough to make it a career? Thank you for any help that's given!

Members don't see this ad.

TrojanMan48 said:
(First of all, I have searched through this forum and I am aware of the post that was recently put up asking "why did you pick optometry". Unfortunately, my question wasn't directly answered, plus I'm not looking for help on a personal statement. I apologize for cluttering up this forum, but hopefully my post and any answers to it will be helpful to others looking for some advice.)

I'm a current freshman in college who is a weighing the options of a career in a health-oriented occupation. I'm learning everything I can about the possible paths I'm interested in. Right now I'm having a hard time deciding between applying for medical school or applying for optometry school. I have an interest in direct patient care (not surgery or anything). I enjoy the "treatment" part of healthcare as it refers to helping others (naivety?). I want to know why others might have picked optometry, and whether and why you picked optometry over medical school? Are you happy with your choice? What part of optometry interested you enough to make it a career? Thank you for any help that's given!

What interests me is:

- Good money
- Can be your own boss
- Interesting profession
- And don't forget, people will call you Doctor :)

maiday919 said:
one reason i picked optometry over medical is the less hectic, more sane/consistent hours optometrists work. it's important for me to have my own personal life. i'm not sure being a medical doctor would allow me to have as much free time as being an optometrist would.

When I shadowed my optometrist, he told me that he usually gets one 'emergency' call every weekend. I was suprised actually because I didn't think he would get any.

One of the biggest things that I like about optometry is that most of the patients that you see aren't going to be sick. When I did the shadowing, one lady had an eye infection I think, but no one was really in that bad of shape. I don't know how medical doctors and nurses can deal with seeing people who are dying everyday. That would be too sad for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
for me it seems like Less Stress hopefully. Besides maintaining a business. i am talking more of the actual work part of it.

Why optometry? I ask that question everyday?