SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Why optometry?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by hye345, Mar 27, 2007.

1. hye345

hye345 10+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Northern California
    Considering that the field of optometry has a lot of problems (oversupply, commercialization, difficulty in getting on med plans), would I be crazy to want to go into the field if I weren't madly in love with the eyes?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    There is a similar thread: Why Optometry School in the Pre-optometry forum

4. bournehall

bournehall 2+ Year Member

Oct 5, 2006
    YES

5. hye345

hye345 10+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Northern California
    :(

6. EyeBaller

EyeBaller SUNY-O Class of 2008 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2006
    NYC
    NO.

7. iiiimonica

iiiimonica 4 eyes on me 5+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Bay Area
    maybe, sorry couldn't resist.
    go into optometry because you cannot image doing anything else with your life. don't do it for the money (becasue there isn't much the first few years - i'm not doing commercial) don't do it for respect (there are others in the medical community who will treat you like dirt) don't do it becasue it's eaiser to get into then med school (pretty much anything is easier to get into then med school) don't do it if you can't talk to people (pretty much most of what we do is talk)

if you do optometry for the calling, the oversupply and other issues will not be as hard for you to handle. you'll understand that your career is a journey and you will find that great gig. you are going to be willing to be patient (and broke!) if you come into optometry for other reasons, you are going to be pissed off. really.

8. EyeBaller

EyeBaller SUNY-O Class of 2008 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2006
    NYC
    This is what I wanted to say... but I felt the "no" had to come before the maybe =P

I agree, if you enjoy optometry and are willing to put in the time and effort to better yourself, you will be successful.

9. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007

I disagree with this. It doesn't take too long to find a med school that will take a decent candidate. Some are definitely no harder to get into than almost all of the OD schools. I don't know where people get this stuff. Sure some med schools are tough, but an MD is an MD.

10. iiiimonica

iiiimonica 4 eyes on me 5+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Bay Area
    i "get this stuff" from friends applying to med school, and programs that cater to pre health students. sure some med schools are easier to get into, but on the whole it is a way harder process then od school, more expensive, more of a crap shoot, and more stressful. my whole point was DO NOT do optometry school because you did not think you'd get into a med school. if you want med school and can't image your life without the md/do, then do that.

11. VA Hopeful Dr

VA Hopeful Dr Senior Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I would suspect that its easier to get into the easiest of the OD schools than into the easiest of the MD schools. Carib doesn't count.

12. NexusMD

NexusMD 2+ Year Member

Nov 23, 2006
    Is there really that big of a problem with oversupply of OD's? I heard there was still a ton of jobs available (even if they are commercial,they are still available).

13. hye345

hye345 10+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Northern California
    I'm thinking that too...

Also, considering that an MD out of school has just as much debt as the OD (probably more so), why is it said to be harder for an OD to open a private practice than it is for the MD? This has always boggled my mind...

Also, when you think about it, those that work in commercial don't (or can't) offer many services, and their customer service is usually under a certain threshold (not trying to offend any commercial ODs here; just going by what I've heard). So, technically, if a doc in private practice goes out of his/her way to please the customer, wouldn't it be relatively easy for that person to build a loyal customer base, even with a walmart across the street?

Not to change the subject here, but I have proven this theory right with ebay; everyone says that ebay is too saturated, and that you can't make any money off it anymore. Well, when I was selling video Ipods last year, I didn't cut corners in customer service (3 different options to pay, 3 different options to ship, free shipping insurance, 30 day money back guarantee, 3 ways to contact me, etc...). Who would have thought that my products were consistently selling for $20-50 more than the competition...

14. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    There will always be commercial jobs open. The oversupply ALLOWS commerical to survive. There are very few good private jobs available. If you don't believe OD oversupply, call and see how quickly you can get in for a rountine exam. I bet in most areas it will be within a day or two. Try that with dentists, podiatrist, or most MDs and it will probably be at least weeks to get in.

Oversupply will absolutely ruin ANY profession. Do you consider working for a high school grad transferred over from the garden department a good job? Is this how someone with 8+ years of education should have to work?

15. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    No matter how good you are there will always be low ballers that will only go to the cheapest place. Thus you see the rise of MDs and NPs in less expensive minute clinics. Its much worse when you have ODs whoring themselves out with commercial places giving away "free eye exams". For the sake of all MDs I hope that never happens to you.

On the topic of opening up a private practice. There are several reasons it is more difficult for ODs. First you have more competition with oversupply meaning less new patients to attract. Second, the equipment in an ODs office is considerably more expensive than the basics in an MDs office. Third is simple economics. Most MDs make considerably more money and can break even much faster. There is actually an undersupply of PCPs I've read often. Its also much easier for MDs to get on insurance panels (which is rediculous), so its tough to live without being able to bill patients.

Hope this helps.

16. odforme

odforme 2+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2006
    This is not at all how corporate retail works...I see that you are trying to make a point but this is pretty ridiculous. Try and stick to the facts you are familiar with and not OVERexagerate to try and make your point.

17. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I think it happens quite often in walmarts, targets, etc. Heck one of the main regional walmart recruiters and managers isn't even an OD.

18. PepsiSucks

PepsiSucks 2+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Let me exaggerate a little. I would rather poke my eyes out than listen to someone whine so often

19. PBEA

PBEA Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 28, 2004

Disagree, after personally experiencing a walmart lease, I can testify that INDEED this can happen. There was onetime when none of the transplants from housewares could indentify what the problem was with a pair of glasses someone was having trouble with. Turns out the PAL lens was upside down in one eye!! Sorry to burst your bubble, but its true. Why do you have such high opinion for the wallyworld "staff"?

20. odforme

odforme 2+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Sadly, you are misinformed about how retail works. Having never worked in retail, I'm not sure how you arrived at these assumptions. Who cares if the recruiter is an OD, the skills required of a recruiter are totally different than of the OD they are trying to hire. Again another example that you have no idea about how a retail chain operates.

21. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    He wasn't a basic recuiter, some other high up position that influnced the vision centers. It didn't come through right in the post, its irrelevant really. I'm glad you think a non-OD should control the ODs. Why are you so deffensive about walmart? Maybe you are ashamed of working there? Hopefully you aren't aspiring to work there if you are a student, otherwise you could have done better with a different degree. What exactly about a retail chain do I not know about that is so important? They make a ton of money off of OD hard work and give the profession a terrible image. Do I need to know more? A lot of them illegally employ ODs as independent contractors and finially several ODs have won some lawsuits.