Why People become Religious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilesMayhem

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This idea struck me like lightning from a clear blue sky: what if the same mechanism that causes people to act loyally towards plane hijackers is the same as the mechanism causing kids to adopt the religion of their parents?

Stockholm syndrome.

Members don't see this ad.

Your insight is tremendous.

And not the least likely to offend someone. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be interesting to see researched but it would appear to clash greatly with what the predominant literature. Much work seems to support religion serving as a more of a coping mechanism, although I am not terribly familiar with the literature.

Personally, I've always been interested in what I perceive may be an overlap between a person's spiritual schema and their object relations. In many religions, the idea of God as a father or mother dovetails with many of the ideas of Fairbairn, Winnicott, etc. I have not seen much research on this (although I've never done a thorough search). If anyone has familiarity with this general area, I'd be interested.

This idea struck me like lightning from a clear blue sky: what if the same mechanism that causes people to act loyally towards plane hijackers is the same as the mechanism causing kids to adopt the religion of their parents?

Stockholm syndrome.

If by "mechanism," you mean a physiological process, I would encourage you to look up some of Dr. Ramachandran's work on the subject. Also look up Michael Persinger (just come to your own conclusions there), Dr. Marc Houser (Moral Minds), and Dr. Kevin Seybold for a perspective on neuroscience and ontological beliefs (religious and "non-religious").

As for me, I do not share the atheism of my parents. I am sure, however, that we share a similar limbic system, parietal lobe, temporal lobes, and prefrontal cortex, not to mention culture.

You ask a good and fair question, but do not rule yourself exempt from the answer.

I thought it was because people are just bitter and cling to guns ...

What do guns have to do with religion? :confused:

EVERYTHING if you do it properly. :laugh:

I have no idea. This whole thread makes my head hurt.

:p Well, I previously had been successful in not posting to this thread, and then the gun comment came up, which required that I read the previous posts again in an attempt to connect them all. I can see how guns are related to hijackers, and I can see how some individuals might view guns as related to particular religious denominations if they use the actions of a few to generalize to everyone else in that religion . . . but generally, over all religions? Meh. Guns = fear. Religion = fear for many? Guns = Religion?

I believe the person was referring to Obama's comment a few months ago on how rural relgious people clinig to guns. ;)

I believe the person was referring to Obama's comment a few months ago on how rural relgious people clinig to guns. ;)

Ah, I see now! I completely failed to recall that particular comment. This would make more sense.

Too bad that those rural religious people are not the only ones who enjoy the ownership of guns though. :rolleyes:

Yes, I was mocking Obama. Nothing more than that.

Yup.....I believe he made the comments in Pittsburg/PA.

As for religion......

Me......*ten foot pole*......topic of religion.

Oh come on...discussions about religion always turn out so WELL! :D

You ask a good and fair question, but do not rule yourself exempt from the answer.

Dat true. Atheism could also be due to stockholm syndrome. I also know that my outlook on life has to do with preferences, because I vigorously look for stuff to support my views. Occam's Razor- simplest reason is always the best. The simplest reason is that my absence of faith has to do with preferences and not that it is true that there is no God. I gotta admit that. Does that prove there is a sociopath on a cloud somewhere?