Why Pharmacy is a great profession...

Started by ZpackSux
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr.BadVibes said:
When i said the days of "ma and pa" pharmacies were way gone, i was referring to starting one up from scratch today. The OP was making it sound like a pharmacist today could open up a new pharmacy with no problems.....that is a huge financial risk where odds favour failure more than success.

Where did the OP(me) say starting a new pharmacy is of "no problem." And what new business venture is not a risk? Huge financial risk? is $120,000 a huge risk? I don't think so.

And how does "ma and pa" pharmacies being gone relate to difficult in starting one up from scratch? Only in your head.. :meanie:
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
I could also add 12. Is able to tell people what aisle the Tostitos are or where to find the cases of Coke that are on sale....but I won't. 😀

Evidently your reading comprehension isn't really up to par. That would make the "why pharmacy sucks list." You can start one if you would like... but my suggestion of #11 would make my list. :meanie:
 
just out of curiosity if you walk into a pharmacy and see a pharmacist, and s/he has no name tag- what do you call them? I actually thought about this a long time ago before I even went to pharmacy school... in the old days were pharmacists called "mr.pharmacist"?

i think, the general public is confused with what the difference is between a doctor and a physician... this problem isnt only for pharmacists, all the other doctors are mistaken for physicians too.
( i never actulally called anyone a doctor except a physician [until i went to college and called professors a doctor, which the general public also finds confusing])

sorry for changing the subject
-dr. love

PS
#14 pharmacists can keep a track of all the hot single women who take morning after pills on sundays 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr.BadVibes said:
As for patients, I totally agree with you....especially in my field where patients are usually scared of me, I would think that by introducing myself by my first name would ease them during their appointment and that is exactly the atmosphere Im gonna do my best to create.......
👍
I call my dentist by his first name and so do all the other patients. It does make a difference!
 
ZpackSux said:
If you wanted to be called a "doctor," you really should go to med school not dental school....since being called a doctor seems important to ya. The OP (me) said nothing about a pharmacist being referred as a "doctor." :meanie:



I totally agree with the med school comment above. I consider my dentist, ortho, endo- a dentist. Only my medical doctor is a "doctor" in my mind. My father calls all of his doctors, dentists so on by their first names- and my father has a doctorate degree. I also work in a hospital- where there are no dentists permanently on staff...hmmm..only medical doctors on staff (as well as pharmacists- but hey doctors and pharmD's are essential to keep a hospital running- are dentists?? hee hee). Dentist, doctor, pharmacist- they are all doctorate degrees..they all take at least 4 years...get off your high horse BadVibes because no one here is better than anyone else. Only someone who has insecurities with themselves or their chosen profession are the ones who find the need to belittle others and their chosen career path.
 
LBS615 said:
I totally agree with the med school comment above. I consider my dentist, ortho, endo- a dentist. Only my medical doctor is a "doctor" in my mind. My father calls all of his doctors, dentists so on by their first names- and my father has a doctorate degree. I also work in a hospital- where there are no dentists permanently on staff...hmmm..only medical doctors on staff (as well as pharmacists- but hey doctors and pharmD's are essential to keep a hospital running- are dentists?? hee hee). Dentist, doctor, pharmacist- they are all doctorate degrees..they all take at least 4 years...get off your high horse BadVibes because no one here is better than anyone else. Only someone who has insecurities with themselves or their chosen profession are the ones who find the need to belittle others and their chosen career path.

LOL... Being called a "Doc" is important to him... just look at his ID... :meanie:
 
ZpackSux said:
LOL... Being called a "Doc" is important to him... just look at his ID... :meanie:


Right!! Why is he messing around on the pharmacy forum anyway- if he is so pretentious you would think we are just too below him to even come to our forums- he should just stick to the dental forums and to what he knows...being a dental student, not a dentist yet. :laugh:
 
Sosumi said:
Where are you getting your information that most start up pharmacy businesses fail? Reading the Pfizer digest and conversations with people who have recently and successfully opened up their pharmacy prove otherwise. The main reason many don't is start up costs and the lure of easy money working in chain retail. The failure rate is minimal, especially compared to every other business.

I don't see anyone in this thread getting all excited about being called doctor -- just that the degree is a doctorate. And just because YOU never heard about a pharmacist being called doctor doesn't make it fact. It's like I've never personally heard anyone refer to their dentist as doctor doesn't mean that it's true neither.

so lemme ask you....if opening a pharmacy is most likely a successful venture, then by being a pharmacist, spending all those years in pharm school and spending all that tuition money......does becoming a pharmacist give one any advantage in opening a pharmacy????
 
yatzek said:
just out of curiosity if you walk into a pharmacy and see a pharmacist, and s/he has no name tag- what do you call them? I actually thought about this a long time ago before I even went to pharmacy school... in the old days were pharmacists called "mr.pharmacist"?

i think, the general public is confused with what the difference is between a doctor and a physician... this problem isnt only for pharmacists, all the other doctors are mistaken for physicians too.
( i never actulally called anyone a doctor except a physician [until i went to college and called professors a doctor, which the general public also finds confusing])

sorry for changing the subject
-dr. love

PS
#14 pharmacists can keep a track of all the hot single women who take morning after pills on sundays 😛

When I see a pharmacist I will call them sir/ma'am....I never even knew pharmacy was a doctorate degree until I read this thread.....are they all like that??? because in Canada, pharmacy is an undergraduate degree. Perhaps that is where my confusion is.

P.S. After a quick Google search, I found out that the B.S degree in Pharmacy was phased out for the PharmD degree.....I guess this hasnt happened in Canada yet...when did this happen in the US??? If it was recently, perhaps thats why the general public doesnt consider pharmacists doctors??

Also, I found out the average salary for a pharmacist including bonuses and overtime was only $78K??? That is pretty low.
 
ZpackSux said:
LOL... Being called a "Doc" is important to him... just look at his ID... :meanie:

My nickname is from an 80s cartoon show called COPS....do your remember it...i has nothing to do with me wanting to be called dr. Actually I stated above that I dont care about being called a doctor.

And I dont know why you pharm guys are saying that dentists are not considered doctors.....you can ask the general public this and everyone will know that a dentist is a doctor....that is common knowledge and there is no need to argue that.

Heck our degree has always been the equivalent to the MD (Medicinae doctor)....but its a dMD degree.....Dentariae Medicinae Doctor (Doctor of Dental Medicine) or a DDS degree (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
 
Well, first off I want to say that pharmacists are a great part of healthcare and that I have spent over 2 yrs working as a certified pharm tech. Even though pharmacists are now awarded a PharmD and can technically be called "dr.", they are not a doctor in any sense of the word. They have earned a professional doctorate level degree just like med,dent,opt,pod, etc., but they do not diagnose,prescribe, or treat in invasive or noninvasive ways. I am not a troll or trying to disrespect any pharmacy students as I was a "hardcore" pre-pharm once, but I dont think you guys are acknowledging or are aware of dental school curriculum. Dentists diagnose diseases and ailments, have a DEA number that enables C2 scipt rights, do a variety of treatments, and even perform surgery. Thus, they do "dr. like duties" in the oral cavity and related structures.They are specialists. Please, lets try to make this discussion not a bickering match, but more of a way to let students learn more about each others respective profession of choice. Pharmacists are indeed the overall drug experts. Good luck to you guys(and girls) with school and your future careers. 😉

<Jon N. CPhT(first time including the title.lol)

Heres the dental medicine curriculum at Nova (scroll down to view) http://dental.nova.edu/forms/DentalAdm03-04.pdf
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
so lemme ask you....if opening a pharmacy is most likely a successful venture, then by being a pharmacist, spending all those years in pharm school and spending all that tuition money......does becoming a pharmacist give one any advantage in opening a pharmacy????

I don't understand your question. In America, like most countries, only licensed pharmacists are allowed to open up their own pharmacy to dispense medications. So of course being a pharmacist gives you an advantage...

I don't know where you got your pharmacist salary info, but you obviously do not know much if anything about the pharmacy profession.

I'm not saying dentists aren't "real doctors". Obviously they're doctors that specialize in the oral cavity. What Zpaksucks is saying is that to the general public, doctor refers to medical doctor. so despite the doctorate degree in dentistry, pharmacy, or whatever, most people think of doctor as their physician.

Most of us here understand and value the dentistry profession. It's just irritating when someone from another profession hijacks a topic in another forum devoted to discussing the positive aspects of that forum's profession.
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
so lemme ask you....if opening a pharmacy is most likely a successful venture, then by being a pharmacist, spending all those years in pharm school and spending all that tuition money......does becoming a pharmacist give one any advantage in opening a pharmacy????


Of course it does. If you're not a pharmacist...and try to open a pharmacy, the first thing you have to do is hire a pharmacist... with an average compensation around $100,000 per year + 25 to 30% additional for the benefit compensation package... the non-pharmacist owner will have a difficult time making very much profit. Now..the pharmacist owner has a distinct advantage..don't u think? :meanie:

Let's give you a simple analogy. How easy is it to open a dental clinic..if u're not a dentist? :idea:
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
When I see a pharmacist I will call them sir/ma'am....I never even knew pharmacy was a doctorate degree until I read this thread.....are they all like that??? because in Canada, pharmacy is an undergraduate degree. Perhaps that is where my confusion is.

P.S. After a quick Google search, I found out that the B.S degree in Pharmacy was phased out for the PharmD degree.....I guess this hasnt happened in Canada yet...when did this happen in the US??? If it was recently, perhaps thats why the general public doesnt consider pharmacists doctors??

Also, I found out the average salary for a pharmacist including bonuses and overtime was only $78K??? That is pretty low.

This aint Canada... and you spoke little too quickly. And yes..u were Very confused. On top of that..the salary figure u quote... Yes..u're confused :meanie: .

Good Day. :meanie:
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
My nickname is from an 80s cartoon show called COPS....do your remember it...i has nothing to do with me wanting to be called dr. Actually I stated above that I dont care about being called a doctor.

And I dont know why you pharm guys are saying that dentists are not considered doctors.....you can ask the general public this and everyone will know that a dentist is a doctor....that is common knowledge and there is no need to argue that.

Heck our degree has always been the equivalent to the MD (Medicinae doctor)....but its a dMD degree.....Dentariae Medicinae Doctor (Doctor of Dental Medicine) or a DDS degree (Doctor of Dental Surgery)

MD = Doctor of Medicine
DDS = Doctor of Dental Surgery
PharmD = Doctor of Pharmacy
JD = Juris Doctor.

They are all doctorate degrees.

How hard is it for you to comprehend? 😴
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This post just makes me think of Friends...

Ross: "I'm a doctor!"
Everyone else: "Yeah right. A dinosaur doctor.."

Ross: "I'm Ross Gellar."
Ross's dad: "Doctor Ross Gellar!"
Ross: "I'm Dr. Ross Gellar.."

:laugh:
 
bananaface said:
That troll has been banned multiple times using multiple accounts. The comments were made to incite conflict, nothing more. The less attention we give it, the less incentive it has to return.

I am neither a troll, nor was I banned, nor am I using multiple accounts. I am not trying to incite anything, I am just stating a fact. You on the other hand don't like my opinions and are calling me a troll and a "conflict inciter" b/c you don't agree with me. Last time I checked this was a free country, if you don't agree with me you are free to disagree. Best of luck to you.
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
When I see a pharmacist I will call them sir/ma'am....I never even knew pharmacy was a doctorate degree until I read this thread.....are they all like that??? because in Canada, pharmacy is an undergraduate degree. Perhaps that is where my confusion is.

.

That is why it is so totally cool when one of your older customers does call you doc. It has nothing to do with your degree or proper title. It has everything to do with how they feel you have helped them and your value in their lives.

If I wanted to be a Doctor I would become an internet minister as Hunter S Thompson did. It is cheaper and faster than medical school
 
tupac_don said:
I am neither a troll, nor was I banned, nor am I using multiple accounts. I am not trying to incite anything, I am just stating a fact. You on the other hand don't like my opinions and are calling me a troll and a "conflict inciter" b/c you don't agree with me. Last time I checked this was a free country, if you don't agree with me you are free to disagree. Best of luck to you.

Easy there big guy. I don't think she was talkiing about you...
 
tupac_don said:
I am neither a troll, nor was I banned, nor am I using multiple accounts. I am not trying to incite anything, I am just stating a fact. You on the other hand don't like my opinions and are calling me a troll and a "conflict inciter" b/c you don't agree with me. Last time I checked this was a free country, if you don't agree with me you are free to disagree. Best of luck to you.

If she were referring to you, you wouldn't be able to be posting due to the ban, now would you? 😉
 
wow this thread has really gone off subject...
anybody wanna add some more positive things about pharmacy, i was enjoying those....
 
#14(?). Pharmacists are the second most trusted professionals in the US 🙂

Nurses were voted 1st
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
P.S. After a quick Google search, I found out that the B.S degree in Pharmacy was phased out for the PharmD degree.....I guess this hasnt happened in Canada yet...when did this happen in the US??? If it was recently, perhaps thats why the general public doesnt consider pharmacists doctors??
All graduating Pharmacists from year 2000 have to have a doctorate degree (not bachelor's). Also, just because B.S. programs in Pharmacy were offered before 2000, that doesn't mean that there were no PharmD schools.

I wouldn't expect the general public to know how much education I went through to become a Pharmacist but for another health professional to be so absent-minded...WOW

PS: does this guy remind you of Bill Maher :laugh:
 
Keep it coming...

1. You can get a job anywhere in the country.
2. It pays well.
3. It's a doctorate degree.
4. You can work part time.
5. Malpractice insurance is $150 per year.
6. Rare on call.
7. Options are plentiful.
8. You can own your own business and have someone else run it.
9. You can own a chain.
10. There are more female students...good for the guys. :meanie:
11. You get to wear that nifty little white coat. And it stays white.
12. You get to make your old professors squirm when they have come to your pharmacy to pick up their medicine.
13. You get to meet all sorts of interesting people from other states and countries (at least in the two downtown pharmacies where I work).
14. You get to meet a few famous people too. (I got to meet a very rich man recently who's recognizable if you're into sports).
15. Pharmacists can keep a track of all the hot single women who take morning after pills on sundays 😛
16. Pharmacists are the second most trusted professionals in the US (after nurses) 🙂
 
tupac_don said:
I am neither a troll, nor was I banned, nor am I using multiple accounts. I am not trying to incite anything, I am just stating a fact. You on the other hand don't like my opinions and are calling me a troll and a "conflict inciter" b/c you don't agree with me. Last time I checked this was a free country, if you don't agree with me you are free to disagree. Best of luck to you.
I was referring to the banned user in this thread, not to you. 🙂 You are indeed a nice guy.

http://67.43.153.76/member.php?userid=67967
 
Wow, first post ever:
Even though pharmacists are now awarded a PharmD and can technically be called "dr.", they are not a doctor in any sense of the word. They have earned a professional doctorate level degree just like med,dent,opt,pod, etc., but they do not diagnose,prescribe, or treat in invasive or noninvasive ways.

I must disagree with this statement. They are all doctors in the same sense of the word. I believe you have confused "doctor" with "physician". A "physician" is one whom has earned an MD degree, a "doctor' could be anything, including a physician, but not exclusively. And I'm not sure about your jurisdiction, but I'm quite sure that pharmacists do indeed diagnose and treat in non-invasive ways.

Example:
Person walks into pharmacy:"Hey PharmD, I have a headache, what do you recommend?"
PharmD's possible response: "If its minor and just like any kind you've had before, Tylenol in Aisle 6, if it continues, call your family physician."

Being a pre-pharm, maybe I'll be able to add to this thread in 4 years 🙂
 
DanMatan said:
Wow, first post ever:


I must disagree with this statement. They are all doctors in the same sense of the word. I believe you have confused "doctor" with "physician". A "physician" is one whom has earned an MD degree, a "doctor' could be anything, including a physician, but not exclusively. And I'm not sure about your jurisdiction, but I'm quite sure that pharmacists do indeed diagnose and treat in non-invasive ways.

Example:
Person walks into pharmacy:"Hey PharmD, I have a headache, what do you recommend?"
PharmD's possible response: "If its minor and just like any kind you've had before, Tylenol in Aisle 6, if it continues, call your family physician."

Being a pre-pharm, maybe I'll be able to add to this thread in 4 years 🙂
Very nice first post. 👍
 
bananaface said:
Very nice first post. 👍

What's the matter...u didn't like my very first post? I recall..my account was on hold for 2 weeks.. got sent to the corner.. :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes... I know dentists are not physicians as only MD/DO are, but there had been lot of argument about this on other threads. I know RPH's give health "advice", but they are not trully diagnosing b/c that is against the law and not part of the job. If a customer comes into the pharmacy and feels "sick" the RPH is trained to "safely" fix the problem the best they can.
 
I am not mixing up the term "physician" with the term "doctor" DanMatan. Yes, physicians are MD/DO, but the term "doctor" as we are appying it here in this discussion means: A person, especially a physician, dentist, or veterinarian, trained in the healing arts and licensed to practice. Just b/c an RPH can recommend a drug or remedy to a customer in a pharamcy doesnt mean they are diagnosing an illness. They are diagnosing basic "symptoms" that inturn will help them recommend an OTC to them. They use professional judgement as to whether or not a doctor (MD/DO,DDS/DMD,DPM,OD,or DPM) is needed. It is against the law for pharmacists to do any more than this. RPH's give medical "advice" to patients, they are not the sole authoritarian in any dicipline but being "drug experts". Pharmacists do not play a doctor like role in any field. I am not saying pharmacists are incompetent people as they are not, but being a doctor is not in the job description. Pharmacists are very trustworthy, ethical, and respected professionals that incorporate their knwoledge on medications by: being the "gatekeeper of dispensing meds", being a source for medical info, being a checker for interactions and incorrect scripts, maker of extemporous compounds, and of course the final say in anything pharmacy related that requires professional judgement and a license to practice. To me, being a doctor incorporates being able to fix a problem on your own within limits of course as to need a specialist be recommended. I really see pharmacists in more clinical roles in the near future as well as now that will enable you pharmacy students to use your knowledge more. I am really for pharmacist operated "drug clinics" that will council patients on anything drug related like drug info,drug interactions, and drug use intervention. This will be pharmacies real "niche" in healthcare and can be of real good use in healthcare today. I see and would want to see more and more physician/pharmacist collaborations that will benefit the patient. My dream form of the healthcare system would be for doctors to diagnose and treat, and for PharmD's who have taken a residency (1 year basic, 1 year special area of interest) to write for the medication in that area of specialtise. I think if charts were reviewed often, better patient outcomes would result. What do you guys think about this?
 
are you saying your dream is for the pharmacist to prescribe (write for the medication)?

this would make sense, physicians diagnose and pharmacists prescribe...but a pharmacist would require a lot more training in that area, does anyone else see this as a possible outcome in the future?

btw, according to your argument are phD's doctors?

the only people to be called doctors imho shoud be physicians and phD's... dentists, pharmacists etc. are also doctors but it confuses people when everyone is called a doctor
 
Part of being able to refer patients appropriately is being able to diagnose a basic set of common problems. We always hear that pharmacists aren't going to diagnose. At the retail level if we can't diagnose we are of absolutely no use to any patient who comes up to the counter to ask for a recommendation on a product or to ferret out whether a referral is necessary. We need diagnostic skills to assure that we are recommending appropriate therapies and actions. I don't know about everyone else, but I have taken a required course that focuses on diagnosis of the basic and some not so basic things that pharmacists see. As stated in class "They may say you are not going to diagnose. But, Godammit, you are going to have to diagnose. That's all there is to it."

A doctorate is a degree. Physician is a profession. When we finish school we will not be medical doctors, but we will be doctors. You can explain your semantics all you like. But, please do not devalue our education and the time we have put in by saying that we have not earned the right to the title accompanying anyone completing a doctoral degree.
 
PharmDr. said:
I am not mixing up the term "physician" with the term "doctor" DanMatan. Yes, physicians are MD/DO, but the term "doctor" as we are appying it here in this discussion means: A person, especially a physician, dentist, or veterinarian, trained in the healing arts and licensed to practice. Just b/c an RPH can recommend a drug or remedy to a customer in a pharamcy doesnt mean they are diagnosing an illness.

Yes, you have clearly blurred the line between those two words and you have really ran off in the wrong direction with this conversation. Technically, a doctor should refer to anyone who has received a professional doctorate degree or an academic phd for that matter. The terms physician and doctor are used interchangeably but they are really NOT synonomous with one another. (as I have explained) By saying that pharmacists have a doctorate degree and can be called doctor, no one is saying that pharmacists are 'physicians' or can perform the task of a 'physician'. Frankly, I don't understand where you saw that anyone was referring to doctor in the context you stated.
 
bananaface said:
A good pharmacist will have the balls to get into the pissing match when necessary, though. This is not a profession for a passive person.

oh thank goodness. I am very glad to hear that as I am somewhat prone to the occasional feisty spell.
 
PharmDr. said:
being a doctor incorporates being able to fix a problem

what about PhD's? they're doctors. do they (always) *FIX* the problem?? Does the professor of literature diagnose and treat medical conditions? sounds to me that you *are* mixing up the terms doctor and physician. Whether or not Pharmacists are commonly called "Doctor" does not mean that they have not earned their doctorate or otherwise known as the Doctor of Pharmacy degree. Seems to me that you are really hung up on who should and who should not be called "Doctor." I don't really think that the pre-pharms or pharmD students posting on this site really give a crap about what other people call them. We are proud to be earning our DOCTORATE in this profession. We will be even more proud to contribute to the community after we have earned our DOCTORATE.
 
You guys are still not reading into what I say accurately. Yes, pharmacists have earned a doctorate degree with a lot of hard work and effort. I am NOT trying to demean the education a pharmacist receives as it is a doctorate level degree. PhD's have doctorates as well but it is not a clinical doctorate but a academic/research doctorate. Totally different and you guys know this. The point I was trying to make was about the connotation of the term doctor. The meaning and view about what is a doctor is universal with patients for their appropriate concern(bleeding gums-dentist, eye irritation-optometrist,diabetic neuropathy of feet-podiatrist,sick dog-vet, COPD-MD/DP). Just so you guys know, I call pharmD's "Dr." in a clinical setting out of respect for their degree but they are still not performing doctor duties. Yes, I said it..I respect the degree. I still feel however that dentists and OD,DPM,DVM are still more of a doctor than a pharmacist. It is the nature of the job that makes a doctor a doctor. I adress anyone with a doctorate besides lawyers by "doctor so and so" as they have earned that TITLE and educational level of achievement. But, they are not doctors in meaning. I know this is confusing so let me give an example....
pharmacist: Hi Im Dr. xyz
patient: so do you know why I am having chest pain?
pharamcist: well, I am a pharmacist and I will have to ask Dr. abc about his diagnose
patient: what? I thought you were a doctor?
pharmacist: I am a pharmacist actually....I know what medications you should take if I had a diagnoses of your condition. You might have angina or maybe even endocarditis...not sure though
patient: can I please see my doctor regarding my condition?

If that same patient was in the hospital with a toothache...only a dentist would be qualified to take care of the problem. The patient knows that dentists are doctors and are not physicians and are the specialists for their oral concerns. That same patient will not be confused or ask for a dentist to fix their chest pain.
 
You really need to just stop. I'm sure it makes complete sense to you in your mind, but this is the pharmacy section of the student "doctor" network forums. You're not going to convince us that our "doctorate" degree does not mean we are real "doctors". I don't try to be a physician. Or a dentist. I'm a pharmacist. With a "doctor" of Pharmacy degree.
 
PharmDr. said:
Just so you guys know, I call pharmD's "Dr." in a clinical setting out of respect for their degree but they are still not performing doctor duties. Yes, I said it..I respect the degree. I still feel however that dentists and OD,DPM,DVM are still more of a doctor than a pharmacist. It is the nature of the job that makes a doctor a doctor.

Go visit a VA hospital. There you will find clinical pharmacists diagnosing and prescribing medication. They meet your definition. We are taught in school to diagnose and recommend prescription medications as well as OTCs. You really don't expect us to only study pharmacology for 4 years, do you?
 
PharmDr.: I enjoy your posts. Statements like "you're not reading into what i say accurately" and your definition of a doctor being "A person, especially a physician, dentist, or veterinarian, trained in the healing arts and licensed to practice" make me laugh..

When you looked it up you ignored the other definitions (there were 3 that defined people)
1 a : an eminent theologian declared a sound expounder of doctrine by the Roman Catholic Church -- called also doctor of the church b : a learned or authoritative teacher c : a person who has earned one of the highest academic degrees (as a PhD) conferred by a university d : a person awarded an honorary doctorate (as an LLD or Litt D) by a college or university
2 a : one skilled or specializing in healing arts; especially : a physician, surgeon, dentist, or veterinarian who is licensed to practice b : MEDICINE MAN
3 a : material added (as to food) to produce a desired effect b : a blade (as of metal) for spreading a coating or scraping a surface
4 : a person who restores or repairs things

and honestly if you really want to get into semantics of the definition... no women are doctors... it says "medicine MAN"

And apparently surgeons are not physicians either

But it seems to me that a pharm d fits the first two definitions (even if they are not specifically stated)


Give me a break
Having worked in a retail enviornment i have heard countless patients come in and say... "what should i take doc?" to the *gasp* PHARMACIST!

i appreciate the fact that you are trying to be diplomatic in your arguments but come on.

oh by the way... you're probably not reading into our posts accurately either
 
Im sorry that we dont share the same opinions on this topic. I am posting in the pharmacy forum and am going to get pro-pharmacy responses. I realized this with my first post. Although I am not in pharmacy school, I have extensively researched,worked in retail and a hospital for 2 and half yrs. my cousin is at school at Nova and her boyfriend just got accepted to UF at St. Pete satallite campus, and have shadowed a clinical pharmacist at Mofitt Cancer Center at USF in Tampa so I know what pharmacists can and cant do. I am not claiming to be the know all about pharmacy, but I do know a lot. I cant count how many times I have saved the retail pharmacists I have worked with butts about drug interactions and the ever so common synergism with patients meds that fail to be recognized. All these terrible retail pharmacists (Eckerd/CVS) were older and had the bacc. degree. I have only worked with 3 recent PharmD graduates and all were great and very knowledgeble. I didnt list the other definitions as I dont see them as relevent. I am aware that earning a doctorate degree entails one including a pharmacist to be called doctor. That was not the concern though regarding who's a doc and whos not. I search this forum because im an undergrad student whos taken all pre-reqs, but am still exploring my career options. I still like pharmacy, but hate retail and like clinical pharmacy. I second guess my thoughts on this profession b/c I want to take a larger role in a patients care. Clinical pharmacy would satisfy me there, but as of now there are not many of these coveted jobs out there. I also want to add that I know you guys are not just learning about basic pharamcology. Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, pharmaceutics, biochem, med. chemistry, all these are extensive courses. I had my last final today and am ready for some more iv preps and compounding at the hospital this summer. Hope everyone stays positive and is successful in school. 😀

Jon N. CPhT
 
doceo, docere, docui, doctum. to teach or instruct.
doctor, -oris (m) a teacher.

What is all this argument about?

Anyway, I didn't come here for the title, I came for the love and challenge of education. And a great career. And to help people. My simple mind won't comprehend what all these semantics are about. I still sleep soundly at night. If someone wants to fret over who gets what title, I genuinely feel sorry for them. May I recommend you a memory foam mattress?
 
PharmDr: the different aspects of healthcare professionals are obviously very very different. you say you want a large role in patient care.
i honestly think most people are interested in patient care.
one role of a pharmacist that may not be publicised widely is in a retail pharmacy when patients come in and cannot afford their medications.
yeah they should take everything the doctor prescribes blah blah blah

i hate to break it to the dr. that rarely ever happens (taken the way its supposed to and every drug)

i have personally had to help several people find plans to receive their medications for free or at a very very low cost.

these plans are not well publicised (for obvious reasons) and it takes work and time from other things i could be doing. but people who don't qualify for medicaid and who have no health insurance need their health care too....

so while yes you may say pharmacists are not involved in patient care, talk to a patient who asks their pharmacist questions they won't ask their doctor because their doctor won't /doesn't have time to listen to them and see what impact their pharmacist has..

it all depends on how you practice.
it may be difficult to counsel everyone and often unrealistic but if it is a priority then make it happen
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's only the occasional premed/predent/med/dent student who comes in here to fret over the title of "doctor"...don't see medical residents and practitioners over here trying to get into a "pissing match" over the term.

You can't go about posting a thread about the positive aspects of pharmacy, without a few other "student doctors" getting all pissy over it, and trying to remind you of your "inferior" status in the healthcare system, or how much you suck! Don't waste your time trying to remind them of the strict dictionary meaning of the term "doctor", it just doesn't fly with them.

It does piss me off, but this is an OPEN forum, and you can't change a stubborn mind.
 
I wasnt pissing on your profession at all....I merely stated that I have never heard a pharmacist referred to as a doctor.....thats all I said.

And I cant believe you guys downplay the education that goes into becoming a dentist. You guys realize that the first two years of dental school are exactly the same as the first two years of med school. In many schools (thank god not mine), the med and dental students are in the same classes for the 2 years. In many countries, dentists are considered medical doctors who are specialists of the oral cavity.....

my point??? yes, the general public considers physicians to be doctors, but dentists are also in this category, whether you admit it or not.

however, like I said, I dont care about the title, because I would prefer my personal patients to refer to me by my first name....
 
You came to the pharmacy forum to state 2 items on a list of why pharmacy is a great profession are invalid. I see no point in this other than to try to antagonize the students. You didn't phrase them in questions even. You just stated matter of fact ma and pa stores are a losing venture, and pharmacists aren't called doctors. I don't see why you'd be surprised at the response you got.
 
LVPharm whats your problem? I am not getting into a "pissy" match with anyone. Everything I have stated has been insightful,truthful,non-biased,well informed, and MATURE. My intentions for posting my opinion was just that..an opinion. I cite definitions and such to back my argument up. That is all. Hmmm....sure seems you pharmacy students just skim over all the parts in my postings about the good aspects of pharmacy. Nothing I said made pharmacy appear as though it is inferior to other fields. Just b/c I am not in love with pharmacy anymore doesnt mean I think it is any less of importance or "prestige".
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
And I cant believe you guys downplay the education that goes into becoming a dentist. You guys realize that the first two years of dental school are exactly the same as the first two years of med school. In many schools (thank god not mine), the med and dental students are in the same classes for the 2 years. In many countries, dentists are considered medical doctors who are specialists of the oral cavity.....
In some schools, pharmacy students take classes with the med students as well. I know that dentists go through vigorous training and classes...and so do pharmacists. So let's not compare.