Why Pharmacy? Why not Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Srah

DRUGGIE
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like a very common question, I have been asked this question on interviews...by friends.. and even family so thought would be fun to post it here. I would like to know from the pre-pharmacy students why did you choose Pharmacy and why not Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

cos i dont like touching people. as in face to face contact and i wanna have more time for my family and I wanna have a life. u know...stuffff. i dont want people beeping me every minute of the day and then my wife is gon get all mad and get divorce and am all lonely and freaked d4k out....I dont wanna be a doc.

Because I want to be a pharmacist. I never ever wanted to go to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
cuz pharmacy is for introverts like many poeple I talk to who go into pharmacy. in general premeds and other closely patient interacted pre-professions in my classes are way funner to talk to.

It seems like a very common question, I have been asked this question on interviews...by friends.. and even family so thought would be fun to post it here. I would like to know from the pre-pharmacy students why did you choose Pharmacy and why not Medicine?

Easy. I didn't choose medicine because I didn't want to be a doctor. :idea::laugh:

I would have to say lifestyle.

I like pharmacy because it is a career where my life is not completely consumed by the profession.

It allows me to work well when I am at work and rest when I do not have to. The flexibility and security of the job is the appeal for me.

cuz pharmacy is for introverts like many poeple I talk to who go into pharmacy. in general premeds and other closely patient interacted pre-professions in my classes are way funner to talk to.
Heh.. I picture a bunch of students in a pharmacy school class that never talk to each other.

I chose pharmacy because I get more flexible hours and I actually get to start to make good money right out of school, unlike Docs who don't really start until they're like 35-40! Also, if I'm sleeping, I don't care if you are bleeding to death or if you're gonna have a baby right now but you can just suck it up cause I need my sleep! lol

I chose pharmacy because I don't really like doctors. A pharmacist is a lot more accessible than a doctor. A typical visit to the doctor for me is an hour in the lobby, another 10-20 minutes in the waiting room and spending 5 minutes with the doctor. It seems that they just want you out as soon as possible. At least that's what I plan on saying if I get asked this question.

One of the biggest reasons I chose pharmacy was because my husband is not settled into his career yet either, I thought pharmcay woud give us more flexibility (after I finish school)....

This is a question that comes up a lot in interviews. I would put some thought into this question for those of you who have interviews coming up. You never know if you may be asked. I can tell you that if I received some of the responses I've seen on this thread, it wouldn't fare very well in an interview I sit on.

Just a hint =)

This is a fairly straightforward question, but it is hard to present an answer that is...to say the least, professional.

For example, if you said that you picked pharmacy because you don't like doctors, why not become a nurse? Nurses are the most trusted healthcare professional. Why not become a physician assistant? Hours are flexible and pay is good. Saying that you don't want to become a doctor gives the impression that you think pharmacy is inferior to medicine and a secondary career path. I certainly hope you don't think so =)

Just something to think about.

After undergrad, I got a job at a pharmaceutical company in R&D testing controlled drugs. My interest in pharmacy stemmed from that.

Plus there is less chance for malpractice...

Why didn't I do medicine??

Because I don't do body fluids.

After undergrad, I got a job at a pharmaceutical company in R&D testing controlled drugs. My interest in pharmacy stemmed from that.

Plus there is less chance for malpractice...

Hey me too! I have been in the pharmaceutical industry for seven years now... its kind of a natural progression from here. Too bad some schools don't see that as pharm experience. I couldn't apply to my state school (u of Arizona) because they require 6 mo of retail experience... industry does not count- go figure. :confused:

Best of luck

Because I can make as much as some primary care physicians while have flexible schedule for family and activities. And its fun... most of the time

I like pharmacy because it is a career where my life is not completely consumed by the profession.

It allows me to work well when I am at work and rest when I do not have to. The flexibility and security of the job is the appeal for me.

I totally agree :thumbup:

Doctors spend way too much time working, plus the residency is a nightmare.... ugh! Who wants to work 70+ hours a week... not me!

Plus, it's predicted to be a hughly growing field = lots of jobs available + competitive pay!