Why pharmacy!???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to stand there in a little room and count pills all day? Seriously, what is appealing about pharmacy. I don't see it. Seems boring.

Members don't see this ad.

Slash said:
Why would anyone want to stand there in a little room and count pills all day? Seriously, what is appealing about pharmacy. I don't see it. Seems boring.

Do you think that is all a Pharmacist does?

megrxgirl said:
Do you think that is all a Pharmacist does?

Pretty much. I mean everything is computerized these days and even the computer can flag down conflicting medication for patient's. I would not want to work for a retail company. And it seems independent pharmacists are becoming an extinct species these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of ways that pharmacists positively impact the lives of their patients. I like the way pharmacists are viewed as "patient advocates". Pharmacists are trusted more than doctors according to Gallup Polls.
People have different interests.
I notice you post on the dental forum frequently. What's appealing about messin' around in someone's dirty grill all day pulling teeth out by the bloody root or drilling holes through enamel and enduring the putrid smell of burning organic material? :laugh: I'm sure a good dentist would find it rewarding- just not a room full of pre-pharms.
To each his own!

ndearwater said:
There are a lot of ways that pharmacists positively impact the lives of their patients. I like the way pharmacists are viewed as "patient advocates". Pharmacists are trusted more than doctors according to Gallup Polls.
People have different interests.
I notice you post on the dental forum frequently. What's appealing about messin' around in someone's dirty grill all day pulling teeth out by the bloody root or drilling holes through enamel and enduring the putrid smell of burning organic material? :laugh: I'm sure a good dentist would find it rewarding- just not a room full of pre-pharms.
To each his own!

Well put, ndearwater. To me its all about the pharmacy - patient relationship, it is unlike anything you can find anywhere else in healthcare.

I agree completely. I specifically chose pharmacy because I like the pharmacist-patient relationship dynamic. Its unlike any other - seriously :thumbup:

kyt0871 said:
I agree completely. I specifically chose pharmacy because I like the pharmacist-patient relationship dynamic. Its unlike any other - seriously :thumbup:

Yeah, handing someone a bag of pills sure is a dynamic relationship. :smuggrin:

Working for Wal-Mart or Walgreens is not high on most people's priority list. I'm glad you guys are willing to do that proudly. :laugh:

Slash said:

Working for Wal-Mart or Walgreens is not high on most people's priority list. I'm glad you guys are willing to do that proudly. :laugh:

you know what, every person have a reason for choosing their profession. Pharmacist enjoy helping people and dentist enjoys making up stuff to get more money from insurance.

Slash said:

You really shouldn't talk sarcastically about people's profession or future profession in a message board FOR those people. Also, you really have no idea what is involved in pharmacy care. Yes, we do fill prescriptions for those who need it. What YOU don't see is the trust people have in the counselling offered by the pharmacists and technicians. What YOU don't see is the collaboration between pharmacy employees and other healthcare professionals to make sure that our patients have the best possible care. Perhaps there are things WE don't see in dentists cleaning and fixing teeth, and that's cool. But just because you don't care to see what goes on in a pharmacy beyond pill pushing, don't spread your ignorance to those of us who already know you're wrong.

Slash said:

Well that's why you don't have to become a pharmacist. God bless democracy!

Slash said:

WHAT AN IDIOT. Arrogance will score you no points in this pharmacy forum or in dental school. +pity+

Slash said:

I hate elitist *ssholes.. :thumbdown:

Slash said:

Useless posts like these just make me laugh. :laugh:

You sure have a lot of time on your hands. I didn't realize dental school was that easy. :smuggrin:

ndearwater said:
There are a lot of ways that pharmacists positively impact the lives of their patients.

M.D.'s, dentists, optometrists, podiatrists, nurses, etc. have patients.
Pharmacists have "customers." :rolleyes:

Slash said:
Patient :thumbdown:: one who receives medical attention, care, or treatment.
Customer :thumbdown:: one who buys goods or services.

I would argue that all healthcare professionals have both.
(definitions from dictionary.com)

Slash said:

An amateur trying to sound like one who knows everything would only end up being pathetic.

"Ignorance is not innocence but sin." -Robert Browning

Slash said:
Umm...people, I think I smell a troll. We should stop posting here. Mods, please close this thread. Unproductive and Inflammatory! :mad:

nerdystar said:
Umm...people, I think I smell a troll. We should stop posting here. Mods, please close this thread. Unproductive and Inflammatory! :mad:
I agree. He's an asshat.

I'm amazed that clinical pharmacy hasn't been mentioned here yet. A clinical pharmacist goes through the hospital or nursing home making sure that PATIENTS are getting the meds they need for their condition and that nothing they're taking is negatively interacting with something else. I don't see how that amounts to handing out a bag of pills. It's certainly beneficial to the patient to have someone double-checking their meds, especially someone who's an expert on drugs. What about nuclear pharmacy? It takes specialized training to handle and properly distribute radioactive pharmaceuticals, and if the world were like you apparently seem to think it is, we should just hire any Joe who can legibly fill out an application to do those things. Or Drug Information... who do you think physicians call when they want to know highly specialized information about obscure drugs? Jimmy the checkout clerk? I realize that you're nothing but a troll, but I want to make sure no first-timers are deterred based on your ignorant comments.

:idea: Question... If you could, would you stand in a room all day and count pills if you knew that you were going to make 100K per year?

This is pretty damn appealing to me, what say you?

By the way...You MUST be just trying to get a rise out of people by saying that Pharmacist just count pills all day, may I suggest that you do some research into the Pharmacy profession (If you know how to), and you just might discover an array of opportunities that await aspiring Pharmacist.

Nice Try! :laugh:

Slash said:

Trolling is prohibited by the SDN TOS.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/faq.php?faq=about_sdn#faq_sdn_terms_of_service

Closing...

Please remember that you can use the report post function (
report.gif
) to report trolling and other TOS violations. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.