Why should I memorize strong acid/base and completely soluble things??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarzMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People always say that you should memorize the strong acids, bases, and completely soluble things. I have been doing a lot of practice problems, and I have yet to see when I have to apply this knowledge. Could someone please explain to me the type of situations where this knowledge comes in handy. I hate knowing a fact, but not knowing how and when to apply my knowledge(which is what makes the MCAT so hard). If you have come across a specific problem on the MCAT, please include the test and question number. If not, just try to explain a situation in as much detail as you can.

Members don't see this ad.

i've seen them before. i don't remember when or where. generally speaking, if EK and Kaplan both say to memorize certain things, i make sure that i know that stuff darn well.

MarzH05 said:
People always say that you should memorize the strong acids, bases, and completely soluble things. I have been doing a lot of practice problems, and I have yet to see when I have to apply this knowledge. Could someone please explain to me the type of situations where this knowledge comes in handy. I hate knowing a fact, but not knowing how and when to apply my knowledge(which is what makes the MCAT so hard). If you have come across a specific problem on the MCAT, please include the test and question number. If not, just try to explain a situation in as much detail as you can.

(Read this aloud in a TV commercial announcer's voice: ) Memorizing the strong acids is easy, and fun. If you know the seven common strong acids, then you also know that all of the other acids you will run into on the MCAT will be weak, and you'll probably have to calculate their dissociation equilibrium constants or their molar solubilities at equilibrium. You do not have to perform these calculations for the strong acids, since they can be assumed to dissociate completely. For a list of strong acids, please visit us in the Q & A subforum, where the common strong acids and bases are conveniently listed for you.

P.S. Under no circumstances is anyone allowed to post any real MCAT questions anywhere on SDN. Seriously. So please don't do this.

QofQuimica said:
(Read this aloud in a TV commercial announcer's voice: ) Memorizing the strong acids is easy, and fun. If you know the seven common strong acids, then you also know that all of the other acids you will run into on the MCAT will be weak, and you'll probably have to calculate their dissociation equilibrium constants or their molar solubilities at equilibrium. You do not have to perform these calculations for the strong acids, since they can be assumed to dissociate completely. For a list of strong acids, please visit us in the Q & A subforum, where the common strong acids and bases are conveniently listed for you.

P.S. Under no circumstances is anyone allowed to post any real MCAT questions anywhere on SDN. Seriously. So please don't do this.

Oh, sorry about the MCAT question thing. I understand that you dont have to perform those calculations on the strong acids or bases, but I just figured a question on a strong acid/base would not be framed the same way as a question about a weak one. So do they actually frame questions involving a strong acid/base to make you think you may actually have to calculate? Has anyone ever seen that done?