"why should we choose you over this guy" I HATE that question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

you've all heard the question I'm sure "so, you and so-and-so are identical candidates, why should we choose you over him/her?" I dont know why but thats one of the only questions that is really tripping me up. I'm preparing for an interview with my pre-med committee and I've heard they ask that question (but with a different spin on it since the interview is only for a LOR)

I'm just starting this thread to get some good, honest answers as to how you would go about answering that question. I'm not here to get a list of good answers and start using them as my own (unless they are really good of course:smuggrin: i kid, i kid)

but seriously, how do you go about answering that question in a good way since you and this other candidate are "identical and equally qualified"

thanks for the help people:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

They're trying to find out what sets you apart from the candidates.

Basically they're asking "So what's so special about you?"

"Well, I play classical Piano and am maybe interested in teaching piano lessons to underserved kids in the community during school if I have the time. Does the school have a student lounge with a Piano by chance?"

"I used to give sky diving lessons. I feel that after having the courage to do that along with the responsibility I had for other peoples' lives, I'm more ready to handle experiences in Med school and as a physician".

etc.

So basically there are no good answers that I could tell you since I basically know nothing about you, unless posting a thread on SDN sets you apart, since it's the only thing I know about you atm.

I dislike this question too, not because it's vague, but because it implies that I'm willing to step on other people's heads to get ahead...

I wouldn't mind a "What makes you special?" question, but nooo... They just have to phrase it in a way that makes it a dog-eat-dog question.

It's a lose-lose question: Either you answer it the way they want and feel like you conveyed a side of you that isn't real, or you refuse to answer and don't get accepted. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I dislike this question too, not because it's vague, but because it implies that I'm willing to step on other people's heads to get ahead...

I wouldn't mind a "What makes you special?" question, but nooo... They just have to phrase it in a way that makes it a dog-eat-dog question.
It's a lose-lose question: Either you answer it the way they want and feel like you conveyed a side of you that isn't real, or you refuse to answer and don't get accepted. :mad:
:laugh: that made me lol. they are a bunch of basties arent they