Why should we choose you / What can you contribute to the incoming class Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had the worst interview at my top choice school...
The questions were not too bad but the interviewer's tone and expression totally intimidated me and I ended up mumbling all my answers with a very panicked look...
I expecially dreaded on the "Why should we pick you over other applicants / What will you contribute to the incoming class" question...

Now that it's over... I wonder, how did you/were you going to answer this question? I know this is a common interview question and it's my fault that I didn't prepare for it... but I just couldn't think of an answer and was just hoping that it would never come up. went through few interviews w/o having to answer this question but then it comes up during the most important interview!!! damn I hate myself...

Members don't see this ad.

but I just couldn't think of an answer and was just hoping that it would never come up.

Wait... so what did you end up saying? It may not have been as bad as you think. My best responses sometimes come up out of the blue (even though I didn't think they were good responses at the time).

I had this question on a secondary and I thought it was awful even having ample time to prepare an answer.

The problem I had with it was this: it seemed kinda arrogant for me to assume that my personal experiences, etc. would be considered some sort of asset to the class. My first thought was that my unique experiences/perspectives would lend diversity to the class, but then it struck me as condescending, like I was claiming to have insights that my peers don't.

Now that I've had more time to think about, I think I was just being too diffident and I should have gone with my gut answer. Instead, I talked about how I interact with my peers and the type of learning environment that I tend to foster. It was a tepid and unremarkable answer, to be sure. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait... so what did you end up saying? It may not have been as bad as you think. My best responses sometimes come up out of the blue (even though I didn't think they were good responses at the time).

I just rambled on and on pointlessly... and when my answer was over, I could feel that my interviewer didn't like my answer... :( :( :(

So I had the worst interview at my top choice school...
The questions were not too bad but the interviewer's tone and expression totally intimidated me and I ended up mumbling all my answers with a very panicked look...
I expecially dreaded on the "Why should we pick you over other applicants / What will you contribute to the incoming class" question...

Now that it's over... I wonder, how did you/were you going to answer this question? I know this is a common interview question and it's my fault that I didn't prepare for it... but I just couldn't think of an answer and was just hoping that it would never come up. went through few interviews w/o having to answer this question but then it comes up during the most important interview!!! damn I hate myself...

Humility. :thumbup:

I just rambled on and on pointlessly... and when my answer was over, I could feel that my interviewer didn't like my answer... :( :( :(

Don't be too worried. I pretty much rambled on and on endlessly (as I recall through the repressed memories of the interview) at UCSD and they accepted me.

I don't think it's an "end all" moment.

I said I would bring diversity (since I wasn't born in the US) and also teamwork.

Passion for mental health.

Interview rule #1: You always have to perform. I blew an interview by not performing and got waitlisted. Live and learn. Schedule an appointment with your premed advisor to practice your interviewing skills. Next time, have your s*** together.

Humor(Always positive and look at the bright side of things even when you haven't slept for 3 days)?
Leadership (Can work in a team)?
Passion (Describe what you are passionate about)?
Enjoy learning new things/challenges?
Dedication/Commitment?

You are the only one that can answer the question. There's no good reasons. If you can't think of anything then perhaps there really isn't anything you can bring to the class. Just think about these things by knowing who you are. Just about every question you ask goes back to the same question. Who are you? If you don't know who you are then it's going to be a bit difficult isn't it? Why medicine is actually the same question in a modified format.

Reactions: 1 user
One of feinberg's essays is similar

Interview rule #1: You always have to perform. I blew an interview by not performing and got waitlisted. Live and learn. Schedule an appointment with your premed advisor to practice your interviewing skills. Next time, have your s*** together.

Yes im sure you got waitlisted ONLY because you didn't "Perform"

Your post is mean telling poeple to get their "S***" together.

Your the one with the waitlist, maybe you should get your s*** together then get the **** off SDN if your not going to be supportive.