Why should you be cautious dispensing Zyvox

Started by Epic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Epic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
to a patient with pneumonia who's walking over to the OTC section and buying a bottle of Robitussin DM?
 
to a patient with pneumonia who's walking over to the OTC section and buying a bottle of Robitussin DM?

Similar properties to MAOI's. Possible risk of serotonin syndrome with the DM. Same reason why the patient should avoid tyramine. Slap that bottle out of his hand!
 
Similar properties to MAOI's. Possible risk of serotonin syndrome with the DM. Same reason why the patient should avoid tyramine. Slap that bottle out of his hand!


You know.... you're pretty sharp.

And I think you enjoy my little challenges...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Too easy. That's something you should just know period. Though that doesn't mean I know it because I hate clinical ****. I surprisingly know the answer 'cause I'm actually interested in the weird side-pharmacologies of various drugs. Zyvox -->MAOI. Phenylephrine-->Adrenergic. Dextromethorphan---> SSRI. So you'd get SS or HTN...

EDIT: Somebody already chimed in...that ok....

How about what happens to a smoker's nicotine buzz after they drink a bottle of DXM. That's much more fun. Or what it can do to Parkinson's patients....
 
Too easy. That's something you should just know period. Though that doesn't mean I know it because I hate clinical ****. I surprisingly know the answer 'cause I'm actually interested in the weird side-pharmacologies of various drugs. Zyvox -->MAOI. Phenylephrine-->Adrenergic. Dextromethorphan---> SSRI

EDIT: Somebody already chimed in...that ok....

How about what happens to a smoker's nicotine levels that drinks a bottle of DXM. That's much more fun. Or what it can do to Parkinson's patients....

Start your own thread..you foo...:meanie:
 
Too easy. That's something you should just know period. Though that doesn't mean I know it because I hate clinical ****. I surprisingly know the answer 'cause I'm actually interested in the weird side-pharmacologies of various drugs. Zyvox -->MAOI. Phenylephrine-->Adrenergic. Dextromethorphan---> SSRI

EDIT: Somebody already chimed in...that ok....

How about what happens to a smoker's nicotine levels that drinks a bottle of DXM. That's much more fun. Or what it can do to Parkinson's patients....

Yeah... but Karm also mentioned the Tyramine...the cheese factor...
 
I probably should just hang around and listen to discussions today for my own good. I have a lung infection w/ diarrhea thing going on so I'm not at rotation today.

You probably have the chlamydia of the lungs...you do know how you get those...right? :meanie:
 
There has been one case report of this combo causing serotonin syndrome. If you freaked out about every interaction that was reported by one case, you'd probably only fill 10 scripts a day. It may be worth some counseling, but that's about it.