Why so many applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know that this years the number of applicants has significantly increased. The number assumed is around 10,000 which is 20% increase from last year.
What is everyone's explanation of such increase? Economy could not be it as it hasn?t changed much for the past 3 years and only this year we are seeing such increase.

Members don't see this ad.

people interested in health careers are getting smart and realizing that life is better as a dentist than it is as a doctor. pretty soon, my guess is that spots for dental school will be as competitive as med school, and avg GPA's and DATS will continually go up (wehreas staying pretty constant in med school admissions). but my humble opinion is the steady realization that a career as a dentist is both stable, highly regarded, and financially rewarding.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure that is the reason there are so many more applicants. In times of economic decline people typically stick it out in college longer as the chances of getting out with a bachelors and getting a great paying job are slimmer so they stay in and go for profesional degrees. I would imagine if you looked at all programs you will see an increase in applicants.

Well, if you can not get a job with your BA or BS then you ought to go continue your education for many reasons:

1. to postpone your school loans
2. to take more loans to pay the bills
3. to get a job with your new degree
4. Prestige
5. meeting new people

Since all of the good jobs are getting exported from the U.S. and dentistry is one of the fields that can not be exported, even Pharmacy (online) and medical jobs (radioloagy) are already getting exported, people know that the dental field is a good choice at this point.

So I think it is a great investment to go to dental school. Plus, people will always have dental needs, because they have to eat and look pretty.

MrBenny said:
but my humble opinion is the steady realization that a career as a dentist is both stable, highly regarded, and financially rewarding.

:thumbup:

toothcaries said:
obviously,
people want to be just like me.
duh.

michael jordan....tiger woods....toothcaries.

it's a natural progression.

:laugh: