Why so much malpractice in Ob/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliacus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to sound like a "rookie" here, but whenever I hear about malpractice it's always followed with Ob/Gyn. Many of my classmates have ruled it out just on the malpractice aspect alone. Somebody please educate me on this issue :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

iliacus said:
I know I'm going to sound like a "rookie" here, but whenever I hear about malpractice it's always followed with Ob/Gyn. Many of my classmates have ruled it out just on the malpractice aspect alone. Somebody please educate me on this issue :rolleyes:
Its not that there is more malpractice in OBGYN its that the cost of covering physicians for OB related claims is very high.Birth related injuries are the most expensive to pay.Even though the cause of many birth defects is unknown,lawyers will attempt to attribute physician negligence as the cause even when scientific proof is lacking.The cost of caring for a brain injured child for many years can add up to many millions of dollars therefore the cost of covering physicians from such potential liability is extraordinarily high.In contrast the the potential payouts in most other types of malpractice is usually far lower.Keeping up with the ever increasing premiums is difficult for a practice especially when matched with decreasing payments from HMOs etc.Dealing with this problem is difficult psychologically as well.All fields of medicine are confronting with this issue but its far worse in OBGYN.

blame it on dirty lawyers like John Edwards. the threat of ridiculous payouts for birth-related injuries that are rarely because of the docs' mistakes drives premiums up. it's a shame; one day there'll be no ob-gyns and maybe the politicians will realize it's time for tort reform.

Iliacus,

I too go to NSU (class of 2006). According to one of our OB/GYN professors, the current average for an award in an ob med liability case in Broward county is close to 4 million dollars. Obviously, South Florida is one of the worst areas in the country for the malpractice crisis. These types of awards are direct evidence of nyskin docs explanation of the exhorbent (sp?) cost of providing life long care for damaged children. That being said, I plan on pursuing obgyn as a career. The reasons discussed are driving obs out of practice all over the country. Combine this with the few graduates entering obgyn and the entire situation equals huge opportunity. It is also one of the few specialties that permits you to practice primary/preventative medicine yet allows significant hospital time for intricate surgery/L&D.

Florida Hokie