Why the change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiskadee321

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I'm currently in my final week of undergrad double majoring in Poli Sci & Economics. When my friends and I began applying to Master's and PhD programs last fall, I started to realize that I didn't think I could go through with my original intention (PhD in Political Science --> Professorship). I wanted to go to med school when I was younger but changed to the social sciences near the end of h.s. for a reason that I still cannot recall.

I'm rather curious about what kind of process many of you went through before realizing that medicine was your true calling since I assume most post baccs here are career/concentration changers. I'd love to hear your stories and what kinds of classes/programs/volunteering you engaged in to help you make up your mind.

Members don't see this ad.

I also just completed my undergrad in criminology and psychology. I will be attending Georfetown's pbpm program in the fall. I wanted to be a pilot before changing my focus to medicine. I earned quite a few licenses and ratings in aviation as well as a few years in Air Force ROTC. After my second year in ROTC I found out I have a medical disqualifictaion. When I became aware of this I had no idea what I wanted to do. At the time, I was living with a person that is now a second year medical student. I began volunteering with him at a local hospital to fill the time that I used to spend in ROTC. I also was fortunate enough to sit in on quite a few med school classes. The professors were really nice and let me sit in whenever I wanted to. The combination of hands on exprerience at the hospital and attending lectures sparked my interest. I have not been able to think about anything else since I made this decision.