Why the change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kiskadee321

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello:

I'm currently in my final week of undergrad double majoring in Poli Sci & Economics. When my friends and I began applying to Master's and PhD programs last fall, I started to realize that I didn't think I could go through with my original intention (PhD in Political Science --> Professorship). I wanted to go to med school when I was younger but changed to the social sciences near the end of h.s. for a reason that I still cannot recall.

I'm rather curious about what kind of process many of you went through before realizing that medicine was your true calling since I assume most post baccs here are career/concentration changers. I'd love to hear your stories and what kinds of classes/programs/volunteering you engaged in to help you make up your mind.
 
I also just completed my undergrad in criminology and psychology. I will be attending Georfetown's pbpm program in the fall. I wanted to be a pilot before changing my focus to medicine. I earned quite a few licenses and ratings in aviation as well as a few years in Air Force ROTC. After my second year in ROTC I found out I have a medical disqualifictaion. When I became aware of this I had no idea what I wanted to do. At the time, I was living with a person that is now a second year medical student. I began volunteering with him at a local hospital to fill the time that I used to spend in ROTC. I also was fortunate enough to sit in on quite a few med school classes. The professors were really nice and let me sit in whenever I wanted to. The combination of hands on exprerience at the hospital and attending lectures sparked my interest. I have not been able to think about anything else since I made this decision.