Why the D-Bag vibe in a professional forum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad virus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, just like the title says. Maybe its just me, or maybe it is a real vibe that I get online. People online are rude, and say things to other people that they would never think of saying without contemplating the possibility of being murdered by the other person for saying it.

It's not just on SDN, but this forum seems to have a bigger holier than thou attitude than other forums I have visited.

What is it with all of the extreme snarkiness, cut downs and sarcasm that ebbs and flows through online communication? I am more interested in hearing from those with a psychology background or an understanding of it.

My guess, is the pseudo anonymity of the interactions allows people to take the effects of their words less seriously since they don't see any direct negative consequences arising from them.

I am not going to debate the fact that people are generally more rude online, I just want to see your thoughts on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

2vn418p.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
In before internet tough guy, cool story bro, do a search, interwebz serious business super meme

"you can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another."
Ernest Hemingway

I guess "He started it" isn't going to cut in terms of rude responses, but that's exactly what I have been asking. What is it about online interaction that makes it so much easier for people not to be professional? Obviously most of us would not verbally phallate each other in real life, neither would we go out of our way to call strangers trolls. What is it about online interactions that makes rudeness an easy method of interacting?

Despite it not being the answer you wanted to hear, it is partially because this is the tenor of conversation that large internet communities tend to gravitate toward. In this case, it is particularly compounded by the userbase being self-selected from a group of people stereotyped for cut-throat competition and general douchery.

It's mostly because it is an internet forum, though.

Despite it not being the answer you wanted to hear, it is partially because this is the tenor of conversation that large internet communities tend to gravitate toward. In this case, it is particularly compounded by the userbase being self-selected from a group of people stereotyped for cut-throat competition and general douchery.

It's mostly because it is an internet forum, though.

Thanks, this is much more in line with what I was wanting to hear. I am more curious about the tenor and why the online community gravitates towards it. I guess, I was looking for more of a sociological/psychological analysis of internet communities. I'm sure someone with that kind of background knowledge will pop in and chime.

I guess it's up to Dr. Google for now.

To be honest, thought about answering you seriously for a few seconds, but then I looked through your previous posts.

In your case, you were more likely to be the first to drag down the level of conversation, so figured you were just looking to pick another fight.

In other words, the answer to your question lies within.

PS: Not sure if you're aware, but the word is fellate, not phallate, although maybe you intended to use the neologism since I don't think you meant the former either.

If you're looking for a tamer and more intellectual discussion, I suggest you check out the /b/ board on 4chan.org.

It's funny, i think people have a hard time sticking to the topic at hand. I never claimed to be the Jesus of the interwebs, nor was I searching for a tamer discussion forum. I will try to rephrase my question again:

What makes people behave in a vastly different manner online than they would in a face to face conversation?

I am going to go with the invisible man theory. Basically, if you were invisible, you would probably do a few things that you would never do if people could see you doing them. I won't go into details but you can let your mind wonder. The only negative I guess to being invisible is having to make sure that the bathroom stall is locked while you are doing number 2, lest someone rush in and try to relieve them selves while your still on the can.

So for those of you who have a hard time understanding questions, I will rephrase: The question is not is Bad Virus the nicest guy on the interwebs? The question is: Why do people behave differently online.

Hope that makes it easier for you guys to understand.

It's funny, i think people have a hard time sticking to the topic at hand. I never claimed to be the Jesus of the interwebs, nor was I searching for a tamer discussion forum. I will try to rephrase my question again:

What makes people behave in a vastly different manner online than they would in a face to face conversation?

I am going to go with the invisible man theory. Basically, if you were invisible, you would probably do a few things that you would never do if people could see you doing them. I won't go into details but you can let your mind wonder. The only negative I guess to being invisible is having to make sure that the bathroom stall is locked while you are doing number 2, lest someone rush in and try to relieve them selves while your still on the can.

So for those of you who have a hard time understanding questions, I will rephrase: The question is not is Bad Virus the nicest guy on the interwebs? The question is: Why do people behave differently online.

Hope that makes it easier for you guys to understand.

Are you new to this Internet phenomenon? I feel like you're rehashing a conversation from 1998. Of course people are rude on the internet, they don't feel responsible for their actions because they can't really be held accountable (unless they do something illegal I suppose). If you take the 12 year old boys screaming obscenities on Call of Duty and talk to them in real life, they're probably going to be considerably more polite and respectful to your face. The most vile 4chan denizen is probably a fairly normal person in real life... actually that may have been a bad example. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
This does not concern MD students. Mods can we please move this thread so that other people don't end up losing 20 secs of their life. Thank you

Are you new to this Internet phenomenon? I feel like you're rehashing a conversation from 1998. Of course people are rude on the internet, they don't feel responsible for their actions because they can't really be held accountable (unless they do something illegal I suppose). If you take the 12 year old boys screaming obscenities on Call of Duty and talk to them in real life, they're probably going to be considerably more polite and respectful to your face. The most vile 4chan denizen is probably a fairly normal person in real life... actually that may have been a bad example. ;)

So in other words. It is all about repercussions. I guess that's what I was searching for. Because in the end, its not really anonymous. If someone was to upset someone enough, they could actually be found.

So in other words. It is all about repercussions. I guess that's what I was searching for. Because in the end, its not really anonymous. If someone was to upset someone enough, they could actually be found.

tumblr_lytqvlQjMP1qmcy47.gif

The thing that irritates me about SDN specifically is that people are entirely unwilling to do research on their own and/or are incapable of making decisions that they themselves - not some random internet user(s) - should be making. This is the genesis for most of the posts in pre-allo and even some in the allo board. Why should anyone take you seriously if you're asking a question that could be answered by two minutes of your own time? I'm not saying that's right or justified, but I know that's how a lot of people feel - especially after you've been around for more than a year or so and start to see the same questions asked over and over again.

And then there are people who are just *******s.

And thanks for the creeper alert on rummaging over my old posts.

Haha, it's not that hard with the iPhone app. Just two clicks and your last 20 or so posts are right there in a row.

So don't worry, I don't have any particular interest in you, just gave you the benefit of the doubt prior to troll confirmation.

Christian Bale is just the best... I always get this vibe when I see him on talk shows and interviews that he doesn't give a crap and is just having a great time. I'm surprised more celebrities don't have that attitude, it's a lot harder to get upset by all the drama and people watching you that way. At the end of the day, you're filthy rich and you can do almost whatever you want.

Christian Bale is just the best... I always get this vibe when I see him on talk shows and interviews that he doesn't give a crap and is just having a great time. I'm surprised more celebrities don't have that attitude, it's a lot harder to get upset by all the drama and people watching you that way. At the end of the day, you're filthy rich and you can do almost whatever you want.

warning, profanity...
[YOUTUBE]0auwpvAU2YA[/YOUTUBE]

If you take the 12 year old boys screaming obscenities on Call of Duty and talk to them in real life, they're probably going to be considerably more polite and respectful to your face. The most vile 4chan denizen is probably a fairly normal person in real life... actually that may have been a bad example. ;)

This is fairly accurate. I have to admit that I'm pretty docile/nice irl, but catch me on the opposite team on the pvp wf I can be a bit of a douche to the douches. I am a big fan of farming the n00bs, ganking the gankers, who then get frustrated, and am somewhat amused that because of the taunting/kill ratio everyone assumes I'm a dude.

So yes, anonymity changes things, also I think the nature of certain things, like pvp, or internet forums, brings out certain aspects of personality.

Great excuse . . .

yuk

More --> View Profile --> Posts

You only get to see the first few lines, but that's enough to see you say "dawg" repeatedly along with "circle jerk", "fly away on your broomstick", and "Ayrab". (And that's only looking at posts outside this thread.)

Stay classy, my friend.

You only get to see the first few lines, but that's enough to see you say "dawg" repeatedly along with "circle jerk", "fly away on your broomstick", and "Ayrab". (And that's only looking at posts outside this thread.)

Stay classy, my friend.

Whoa, hold the phone. He knows the term "circle jerk" but doesn't know that teh interwebz is full of douchebags who are actually normal people in real life? Wat.

Stay classy, my friend.

I do this commonly with people who are being tools or otherwise *****ic to see where they stand. nothing creeper about it. Just a convenient way to catch someone in their own BS

I do this commonly with people who are being tools or otherwise *****ic to see where they stand. nothing creeper about it. Just a convenient way to catch someone in their own BS

He really only had one post that looked productive in my quick once over - had to do with ranking EM programs.

So, just like the title says. Maybe its just me, or maybe it is a real vibe that I get online. People online are rude, and say things to other people that they would never think of saying without contemplating the possibility of being murdered by the other person for saying it.

It's not just on SDN, but this forum seems to have a bigger holier than thou attitude than other forums I have visited.

What is it with all of the extreme snarkiness, cut downs and sarcasm that ebbs and flows through online communication? I am more interested in hearing from those with a psychology background or an understanding of it.

My guess, is the pseudo anonymity of the interactions allows people to take the effects of their words less seriously since they don't see any direct negative consequences arising from them.

I am not going to debate the fact that people are generally more rude online, I just want to see your thoughts on the matter.

19674475.jpg

Seems about right :)

A lot of people on this forum are/have been super helpful, but there are definitely a higher than average share of snarky comments that I feel are unnecessary.

As to why-- God complex + invisible man theory has my bet.

Anonymity + low self-esteem.

or boredom.... I resent the implication and lack the self-esteem to let it slide :laugh:

Two reasons:

Transference + Anonymity induced honesty

When people have zero possible retribution for their thoughts they will be honest. Also likewise, when you cant yell at your teacher bc they are a piece of ****, its a defense mechanism to pick a new target.

If you're looking for a tamer and more intellectual discussion, I suggest you check out the /b/ board on 4chan.org.

I, too, have found this to be a valuable resource.

The thing that irritates me about SDN specifically is that people are entirely unwilling to do research on their own and/or are incapable of making decisions that they themselves - not some random internet user(s) - should be making. This is the genesis for most of the posts in pre-allo and even some in the allo board. Why should anyone take you seriously if you're asking a question that could be answered by two minutes of your own time? I'm not saying that's right or justified, but I know that's how a lot of people feel - especially after you've been around for more than a year or so and start to see the same questions asked over and over again.

And then there are people who are just *******s.

Yep. This.