Why the use of a polarizing filter in dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iroshizuku

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just watched a case of the fantastic dr maxim belograd on youtube (minute 11:03) and he was suggesting using a polarizing filter to better the image for the dental technician in order to more accurately evaluate the color. Can someone explain why is this *what is the effect* and how does a polarizing filter produce this effect?:)

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand, a polarizing filter it will not change the color/tint/hue but it will dampen the intensity of the light.
By dialing down the the brightness you might be able to see subtle color differences.

Frankly, I doubt if it makes any difference.
The truth of the matter is this...
Color discrimination is largely a genetic matter. Women are better then men in most cases. And forget it if you have the color blind gene. --SO-- If you have a problem picking shades get somebody you trust (lab guy, DA, patient, RDH etc.) to help you make that call.

Reactions: 1 users
I think a polarizing filter is used to prevent "washing" out of the colors and prevent the technician from seeing the source of the light based on the reflection of your intended photo. The color of the tooth that you see in photos is influenced by the nature and source of the light.

Think of it this way, when you take a flash photo of a tooth v. looking at it under softer/natural sunlight, the tooth looks different. Why? What you see is the reflection of the light captured by your digital sensor/film or your eyes. If you standardize the light source and remove any interferences, you will be able to communicate the true shade of the tooth more. Personally, I like using the Vita Easyshade V. I got a couple of them so there's little ambiguity for color/shade match communication. The only ambiguity it leaves is translucency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both so much, it makes more sense now.
As I understand, a polarizing filter it will not change the color/tint/hue but it will dampen the intensity of the light.
By dialing down the the brightness you might be able to see subtle color differences.

Frankly, I doubt if it makes any difference.
The truth of the matter is this...
Color discrimination is largely a genetic matter. Women are better then men in most cases. And forget it if you have the color blind gene. --SO-- If you have a problem picking shades get somebody you trust (lab guy, DA, patient, RDH etc.) to help you make that call.
I asked my lab tech and he said it makes a difference to him as it enables him to understand where each color starts if that makes sense, tho me personally I can choose color shades, no faulty genes here :p

I think a polarizing filter is used to prevent "washing" out of the colors and prevent the technician from seeing the source of the light based on the reflection of your intended photo. The color of the tooth that you see in photos is influenced by the nature and source of the light.

Think of it this way, when you take a flash photo of a tooth v. looking at it under softer/natural sunlight, the tooth looks different. Why? What you see is the reflection of the light captured by your digital sensor/film or your eyes. If you standardize the light source and remove any interferences, you will be able to communicate the true shade of the tooth more. Personally, I like using the Vita Easyshade V. I got a couple of them so there's little ambiguity for color/shade match communication. The only ambiguity it leaves is translucency.
So basically we softening the light so we more naturally see the colors for what they are and can see the shades plus dentin and enamel color differences more clearly, am i right?

Thank you both so much, it makes more sense now.

I asked my lab tech and he said it makes a difference to him as it enables him to understand where each color starts if that makes sense, tho me personally I can choose color shades, no faulty genes here :p

So basically we softening the light so we more naturally see the colors for what they are and can see the shades plus dentin and enamel color differences more clearly, am i right?

Under polarized light samples, I find that I can see the different layers a lot more clearly. However, I find that just reangulating my intraoral camera angles and light intensity is enough to communicate to the lab (hue, value, chroma, shape, symmetry, etc...). I like to send the lab photos of teeth under 2700k and 5000k light. I find that those two extremes captures the most common lighting settings when people smile... fluorescent/incandescent lighting and daylight. Esthetic purists would have my head on a pike for not using a DSLR, but I don't get paid enough for that.

Reactions: 1 user