Why UHS needs to get on the ball.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO/MBA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have been a big supporter of UHS for the whole time that I have been there, but now they have gone over the edge.
We have Pathology Practical exams put on by one of the best teachers in the business. He shows slides for tissue diagnosis. Before now, we could move close up front to the room so we could see the slides. However, now our great dean has said that we must sit in our assigned seats. So what? Well for those of you who do not know, UHS has about 220+ students, and those of us who sit in the back cannot see mitotic figures to diagnose cancer. The best part is that we do not even rotate each block. It gives those fortunate enough to have the right last name a huge advantage over the rest of the class. Having said that, I did fine on the exam, but I know of one classmate who had to sit behind a pillar?!! Most of us in the back cannot do anything. The funniest part about this is that they (the administration)said," If you have a disability go to the disability committee." or something similar to that. Well I went there, and they said I have to see a DO or MD opthamologist before the exam to get checked out. An OD was not good enough. Well at 1 week before the test and thanksgiving weekend there that was not possible. They are very incosiderate of our human rights (the reason they imposed these rules on us in the first place)
What you can do? If you are a prospective student or one accepted, call them and ask about this. Ask them about dedication to the students' education. Don't mention this site though, I don't need the administration breathing down my neck, freeeedom knows what I am talking about.

Members don't see this ad.

DO/MBA,
I've been accepted to UHS,TUCOM, and DMU. Are you glad that you choose UHS? Your post made me a little nervous, however.
How much do you guys use computers? The acceptance letter made it sound like it's quite a bit. Laptop or just a PC (gimme a recommendation). Are the budget cuts really going to force out a big % of excellent faculty?
If so that's a big fat red flag to me when UHS is already one of the more expensive schools. I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me. Thanks,
future UHS student (pending your answers)

"A genius is a talented person who does his homework" Thomas Edison

My above post is sounds a little inflammatory. It wasn't supposed to be like that. Let me get the record straight. First of all, UHS has a good administration. They came in and turned this place around. We also have excellent teachers. We use the computers a lot. The big problem is that now the administration and one of our teachers is having a pi$$ing match. We the students lose. Also, it doesn't look like it is going to resolve anytime soon. I suggest that if you want to go to UHS, use your ability to decline their acceptance as a tool to resolve this problem (It will be your problem too if it doesn't change.) Trust me, money and getting the best quality students is the main priority. If they get enough inquiries from already accepted students or soon to apply students, they will fix this quickly. If you like UHS, go there it is a good school, but the recent decisions of the administration and the Prof involved was a very naive and inconsiderate decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey DO/MBA,
What is going on friend? I told you I would post you a reply. I think the path thing is sad also. But, I do believe they did that because they caught some people cheating as they went to the front of the room. But that should not punish the rest of us. Well, I enjoyed meeting your wife and daughter. I will see you around campus, and don't forget you have to meet me in the gross anatomy lab next section.

Sorry to hear that you guys are having problems down there! That sounds like quite a problem with that many students, not to mention the pillar.
I think that all of the schools are having one administration problem/adjustment or another with the faculty. What can you do...
I will give you a heart felt, empathetic sorry from a far. I understand.
Take care, and maybe I will see you for the soccer match between UHS and KCOM down there.
Toran