"Why us" and "Why should we choose you"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For secondaries, how do we differentiate between "Why us" and "Why should we choose you" questions? I feel like both have very similar answers, like my values go with the school's values and then I provide them with evidences on how they're a good match for me/ how I'm a good match for them. Can somebody advise me on how to approach those two questions? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For secondaries, how do we differentiate between "Why us" and "Why should we choose you" questions? I feel like both have very similar answers, like my values go with the school's values and then I provide them with evidences on how they're a good match for me/ how I'm a good match for them. Can somebody advise me on how to approach those two questions? thanks
These are two very different questions, and it's not merely about your values, because that's only a single data point

Reactions: 1 users
Why us is a question that tests your knowledge about the school and to show that you have "done your homework" about the school's programs, curriculum, degree requirments (thesis?) and so forth. You might also add why a specific aspect of the school's offerings are a good match with your learning style, your desire to practice in a specific area (urban, rural, underserved region).

The why you is asking why you are the cat's meow. It is a chance to toot your horn and describe how you wil contribute to the class and be successful as a student and an alumnus. How will your experiences to date contribute to the class at that school?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why us is a question that tests your knowledge about the school and to show that you have "done your homework" about the school's programs, curriculum, degree requirments (thesis?) and so forth. You might also add why a specific aspect of the school's offerings are a good match with your learning style, your desire to practice in a specific area (urban, rural, underserved region).

The why you is asking why you are the cat's meow. It is a chance to toot your horn and describe how you wil contribute to the class and be successful as a student and an alumnus. How will your experiences to date contribute to the class at that school?
Like OP, I would have assumed the goal for both questions is to describe how you're a good fit, but not necessarily answer them the same way. In other words: Why you? = Why should the school want me? = I have what they are looking for. = I'm a great fit. = Cat's Meow. Otherwise, wouldn't the why-you essay be exactly the same for any school and wouldn't it just be mostly what has already been demonstrated in the rest of the application?

Reactions: 1 user
I can tell you that at least one school is using this as an opportunity for you to show us that you haven't just picked us because ours is a name that will impress your aunties and that you have actually considered what the school has to offer to you -- not what you have to offer the school.

For the why you secondary questions, the school may want to hear you say that you are committed to X and that the school's mission for X aligns with your values/goals/aspirations, etc.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
thank you all that was pretty helpful!

so the way I'm writing "Why us" is basically focusing on community service and looking at the schools' websites for programs and opportunities that involve community service. I'm basically recycling the essay but just changing the different community service program at each school. Pretty much all schools have the community service aspect. is this too generic? should I be more specific and mention something unique for each school? @LizzyM @gdt @Goro

so the way I'm writing "Why us" is basically focusing on community service and looking at the schools' websites for programs and opportunities that involve community service. I'm basically recycling the essay but just changing the different community service program at each school. Pretty much all schools have the community service aspect. is this too generic? should I be more specific and mention something unique for each school? @LizzyM @gdt @Goro
You should be able to do more than that.

That should be fine as long as you can name the groups at that school.

I'm not on Adcoms, but an incoming M1 student. When I was doing my research to answer the "why us" questions, OP is somewhat correct that schools share certain attributes. However, I found it helpful to make an Excel sheet to note down the school's mission statements, values, and what I perceived as their "X" factor. Also, if the school has a strategic goal document (i.e. where we want to be in X years), I asked how I could use my skills/attributes to help make them better. In turn, by highlighting this, I in turn could become more appealing from their perspective. Just my .02.

I can tell you that at least one school is using this as an opportunity for you to show us that you haven't just picked us because ours is a name that will impress your aunties and that you have actually considered what the school has to offer to you -- not what you have to offer the school.

For the why you secondary questions, the school may want to hear you say that you are committed to X and that the school's mission for X aligns with your values/goals/aspirations, etc.
So “why us” is ‘This is how your school matches me’ and “why you” is ‘This is how I match your school’ in essence?

For a “Why you” essay, would it at all be worthwhile simply reiterating ‘ I have a proven track record of academic success, leader ship, and research experience shown by ABC which All clearly align with XYZ mission statements etc. My narrative demonstrates commitment to this, which is a core component of your school etc.” Basically just a bare-bones breakdown of this is my application and this is that aligns with what I can find about your school?

For "why us", is talking about the location considered trite? For example, an applicant says they want to go to X school because it is located in New York City.

For "why us", is talking about the location considered trite? For example, an applicant says they want to go to X school because it is located in New York City.
Why do you want to live in New York? You need to go beyond "I want to live in your city" to have sonme explanation as to why that location is where you want to be. While precise location is unique to that school, it is, in some cases, a rather lazy response as it might not be a big differnece location-wise, to attend NYU or Cornell, Yale or Qunnipiac, Harvard or Boston U but obviously very differnet schools.