Why wont my school let me do IPPE/APPE at my pharmacy chain???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shewantthepharmD

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, my school does not allow students to do IPPE/APPE at their workplace.... Do you know why??? And what would happen if i do my IPPE/APPE at my workpalce anyways? For example, if i work at Walgreens, my school prefers that I do IPPE with CVS and NOT walgreens. Will I get penalized if I do IPPE/APPE at another walgreens (that isnt my store)? I really like my company and I wish to get more experience. This will also help me to become better at my actualy paid job
 
I believe this would be school specific, but I know you definitely are not in the right forums... I will leave that to @WedgeDawg to figure out 🙂

Moving to pharm.

Thanks for the tag, but in the future, just go ahead and use the report button 😉 I'm not technically a moderator for this forum so using the report feature ensures that this will be seen by someone who is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The school wants you to have an experience like a pharmacist. They believe if you do a rotation at your place of employment, you will be treated more like an employee than a student. However, if you worked at Walgreens and wanted to do a corporate rotation with them; that would be considered fine. Most schools don't want you to do rotations with your employer. They want you to gain more experience in different pharmacies.
 
The school wants you to have an experience like a pharmacist. They believe if you do a rotation at your place of employment, you will be treated more like an employee than a student. However, if you worked at Walgreens and wanted to do a corporate rotation with them; that would be considered fine. Most schools don't want you to do rotations with your employer. They want you to gain more experience in different pharmacies.
Thanks for the reply. That really sucks to hear 🙁 I do not have enough experience at work. I only work maybe 4-8 hours a week at my chain. I feel very lost at work. It is very embarrassing to feel lost at work when all the pharmacists/technicians there are very good. I wanted more experience at my chain so I can be good like everyone else there. I was hoping to do IPPE/APPE at my own chain so I can learn more and be more competent at work. Im still very lost with their system. It would only confuse me more if I try to learn another chain's system when I dont even have mine down 🙁
 
t
Thanks for the reply. That really sucks to hear 🙁 I do not have enough experience at work. I only work maybe 4-8 hours a week at my chain. I feel very lost at work. It is very embarrassing to feel lost at work when all the pharmacists/technicians there are very good. I wanted more experience at my chain so I can be good like everyone else there. I was hoping to do IPPE/APPE at my own chain so I can learn more and be more competent at work. Im still very lost with their system. It would only confuse me more if I try to learn another chain's system when I dont even have mine down 🙁

It's Walgreen's responsibility to train you at your job. It is your pharmacy school's responsibility to see that you are a competent pharmacist not that you are able to use Walgreen's computer system. If you are struggling at work speak up, or ask for more hours. I found that keeping a small notebook and jotting things down about the computer system for various chains during rotations was very helpful.
 
did your store get extra hours to train you? If so, there should be enough help to take care of all stations and you should focus on learning the computer. Try to fill as little as possible.
 
My school had the same policy. Not sure if it was school specific or based on the state board, but you couldn't do rotations with a place that pays you. Conflict it interest I suppose.