link2swim06

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm not sure of the incentive to obtain both degrees since they're practically the same. Maybe he wasn't competitive for an ophthalmology residency as a DO so he decided to do the MD as well? What do you guys think?

Reference: http://www.lasiktoday.com/hratch-kourouyan-md.html

It says he is a DO not an MD. I can pretty confidently say nobody currently living has both an US obtained MD and DO.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, he does not have an MD degree. MDeye or whatever is not the same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

About the Ads

Evergrey

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
He then pursued medical training, first completing a Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine at Western University College of Osteopathic Medicine in California, and then a medical degree from International University of Health Sciences.
He got a DO degree, then an MD degree from a school in St. Kitts (an internet university or something?).

Anyway to answer OP -- maybe he felt insecure about having "just" the DO degree. Seems like a waste of several years to me to go back and get another degree.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
He got a DO degree, then an MD degree from a school in St. Kitts (an internet university or something?).

Anyway to answer OP -- maybe he felt insecure about having "just" the DO degree. Seems like a waste of several years to me to go back and get another degree.

I'm sure there are Internet offshore companies that will sell you a meaningless degree. I doubt he spent several years.

CatFactorial

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
MBBS or the equivalent might get a DO to lose the IMG label, but, as stated above I highly doubt someone has an American MD and DO degrees.

LossForWords

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
There are some places that advertise a "D.O to M.D." thing, but these are pretty much just diploma mills so you can put LossforWords M.D. instead of LossforWords D.O. on your monogrammed paper weight.

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
NorCal --> Flyover Country
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Tired of explaining what a DO is, want more lay prestige, feelings of insecurity, etc. Seems like a huge waste of time and money and purely ego driven.

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
why the hell go to a school in west indies that is not even recognized by all states after getting a perfectly good DO?

something about the way this all stacks up doesnt make much sense though.... if the guy had an MD he would list it. He lists eyeMD but I think that is an affiliation more than a degree. and his bio says "Doctor of osteopathic medicine" but the indies deal is just a "medical degree"....

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
something still seems off... google is unaware of an "international university" in southern florida. There is a Florida International University in Miami, though...

no idea why he did it, but it looks like FIU is a brand new school and they dont appear terribly selective. Maybe he figured he had a shot at an MD by gunning for a school that is newly opened... I cant imagine any other US MD schools taking on someone who already has a medical degree. But I could be wrong

About the Ads

OneTyme

Kickin' it ol' school
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
something still seems off... google is unaware of an "international university" in southern florida. There is a Florida International University in Miami, though...

no idea why he did it, but it looks like FIU is a brand new school and they dont appear terribly selective. Maybe he figured he had a shot at an MD by gunning for a school that is newly opened... I cant imagine any other US MD schools taking on someone who already has a medical degree. But I could be wrong

First off, FIU opened it's medical school in 09. It won't even have a graduating student for another year.

Second off, you are making a crap ton of assumptions with out actually researching the issue.

Third off, the school he he saying he got his MD from is an international school that you can attend distance in the US. It is not an accredited US medical school. I have not a clue as to why he did it but I'm guessing he had his reasons. His practice looks pretty successful so you can't really say he doesn't know what he is doing.....

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
First off, FIU opened it's medical school in 09. It won't even have a graduating student for another year.

Second off, you are making a crap ton of assumptions with out actually researching the issue.

Third off, the school he he saying he got his MD from is an international school that you can attend distance in the US. It is not an accredited US medical school. I have not a clue as to why he did it but I'm guessing he had his reasons. His practice looks pretty successful so you can't really say he doesn't know what he is doing.....

:laugh:
easy there trigger finger.

first off: good call ;) I didnt think about that.

second off: I havent made any assumptions aside saying that I cannot find this "international university" written as a proper noun on his bio and offered my best guess

third off: which school? since I am the one making assumptions and you are the one with the level-headed info, care to link us to their admissions page? I dont recall commenting on whether or not he knows what he is doing other than to say things seem odd based on what was linked which brings me to my final point....

fourth off, eff off ;)

startswithb

Future Urologist
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
http://www.boydobgyn.com/pdf/Boyd_CV.pdf

This guy bought an MD from the Caribbean after 10 years in practice. Why? Did it improve his practice? ??

I also read of a dentist doing a Caribbean 'health professional-to-MD' type of program so he could advertise as an MD, but was shut down by the state board of medicine.

Last edited:

OneTyme

Kickin' it ol' school
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
:laugh:
easy there trigger finger.

first off: good call ;) I didnt think about that.

second off: I havent made any assumptions aside saying that I cannot find this "international university" written as a proper noun on his bio and offered my best guess

third off: which school? since I am the one making assumptions and you are the one with the level-headed info, care to link us to their admissions page? I dont recall commenting on whether or not he knows what he is doing other than to say things seem odd based on what was linked which brings me to my final point....

fourth off, eff off ;)

Well, if one takes the time to read the listed documents.... One would see that " International University of Health Sciences" is listed as the MD granting school. (http://www.valuemd.com/international-university-health-sciences-iuhs/) Then all one has to do is GOOGLE the school.

Pretty peachy keen way to speak legitimately to the issue.....

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
which brings us right back to the west indies. I'm not entirely sure how much sleuthing needs to be done per your requirements before saying "something doesnt smell right" is no longer such an inappropriate statement.
here is what google finds http://www.iuhs.edu/
I suppose we could go through the oober legit-looking value MD link on caribbean schools. As SDN has shown us nothing posted on vbulletin could ever be misleading ;) not when the 4th thread in their subforum is "1996 toyota corolla for sale" :rolleyes: and I am simply not digging around in all of that enough to confirm a south florida campus as was indicated in another link.

I am seeing very little here to justify your itchy trigger finger, to show what I posted was inappropriate, or to validate your further use of said search in addressing the above two points. We had already found UIHS... and nothing other than an oddly restrictive promo pamphlet seems worthwile and even less speaks about florida. So are you saying this evidence points undeniably to a situation where he did not buy a caribbean MD for some bogus advertising purposes?
oh, and on what basis do you claim that his practice is doing so well? I have no idea how he is doing but I find it interesting that this is one of your leading arguments.... was it the super schnazzy website?

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
and before you get overly excited and post prematurely again (because everyone leaves unsatisfied when that happens...) you should note that I still havent taken a hard position other than "this is odd". Doing extra digging IS what this thread needs, but one should be a little embarrassed for thinking doing said digging is somehow grounds to harp on another poster just for saying things are weird. ;)

xXRAYNEXx

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2011
SoCal
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I think it became clear to me why he got both degrees. I'm not sure how much the MD from an island enhanced his career, but I wouldn't raise any yellow flag if he left it out entirely in his bio. I think his DO holds enough weight to stand by itself magnificently with his other achievements. Mentioning the tainted MD does not really give him the edge--at least not within the medical community. Although I'm sure it is hard to ignore a $68k/year tuition + misc. cost investment on his part. Was it a mistake or a good investment? Only he has a better answer. Thanks everyone for your input and taking the monkey off my back.

SpecterGT260

Catdoucheus
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
apparently these guys who buy caribbean MDs....

can you guy a Caribbean DO? May do it for fun some day :laugh:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.