meep_meep

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys,

I have an upcoming interview and I have been preparing, but cannot seem to come up with a good answer for the "why you?" question. Anybody have any tips? I have been told to leave out academics when answering this question, but others have suggested it? Help? Thanks

kholley25

5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2014
NC
Status
Dental Student
Focus on your strengths and tell a story when you describe yourself. Talk about your personal interests. Relate your strengths, interests, and experiences back to dentistry somehow if you can.

Reactions: meep_meep
Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I believe that the "why you" question is the perfect opportunity to "sell" yourself. Remember that they don't know you so this is your chance to let them know how special you are and how perfect you'd fit in their program. Besides, this is the opportunity to set yourself apart from the other applications. I believe that stats could be mentioned but they actually already have them and that's one of the reasons you were called for an interview. At this point they want to know you beyond that, so go ahead and, like PP mentioned, focus on your strengths and everything that makes you unique. If you can't come up with ideas on how you are special, ask your family and friends. They usually see qualities that you have that you might have not realized them as special. Granted, make them sound professional and related to the dental field. Moms can sometimes say that you are a beautiful and sweet darling... Lol... And I think that would be a little bit too much to tell the adcoms... Lol!!! Good luck with your interview! :D:luck:

dyesht

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2014
SF
Status
Dentist
Focus on your strengths and tell a story when you describe yourself. Talk about your personal interests. Relate your strengths, interests, and experiences back to dentistry somehow if you can.
Interviewer: "so why you?" @kholley25 "oh well my intersts are hiking, fishing...." lol where did we go wrong here

Reactions: DetermineDent