WICHE Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beaneek

IU 2009
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here receiving a grant through the WICHE Program? If so, do you know what the exact stipulations are? Is there any way of getting out of practicing in your home state for 4 years when you graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm receiving it from AZ. The only way to get out of it is to pay back the funds borrowed. You may only have to work 2 years if you let WICHE tell you where to practice in your state; this will generally be in under represented areas for your field.

Is anyone here receiving a grant through the WICHE Program? If so, do you know what the exact stipulations are? Is there any way of getting out of practicing in your home state for 4 years when you graduate?

I was offered it, and I'm from WA. It seems to be more of a forgivable loan than a grant. Based on what I understand, every year you get a 16k loan that goes towards your tuition (for 4 years). Then, for every year you work in an underserved area in your home state, a 16k chunk is forgiven.

If you don't return to your home state and work in an underserved area, then you'll have to pay back the loan.

I didn't hear anything about a 2 year program. Eyenphx, where did you hear about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm receiving it from Nevada. The stipulations for pay back vary GREATLY from state to state. Some of my classmates from Midwestern states like North Dakota don't have to pay anything back and don't have to return to their home state. I have to pay 1/4 of the amount they give me (which is $14,000 a year) back and practice in Nevada for 4 years, but in any area of my choosing. Some states make you pay something back, make you return to the state, and make you live in particular areas. You need to check what the requirements for your state are.

http://www.wiche.edu/States/

I was offered it, and I'm from WA. It seems to be more of a forgivable loan than a grant. Based on what I understand, every year you get a 16k loan that goes towards your tuition (for 4 years). Then, for every year you work in an underserved area in your home state, a 16k chunk is forgiven.

If you don't return to your home state and work in an underserved area, then you'll have to pay back the loan.

I didn't hear anything about a 2 year program. Eyenphx, where did you hear about this?

RegularGuy,

I read it in the literature they sent me.

After graduation, WICHE in AZ requires that the recipient return to the state and spend one year in the practice of their profession for each year they were supported by the program. However, if the student will practice in an underserved AZ community, (so designated by the appropriate licensing board), they receive one year of state service credit for each 6 months of practice.

Also, from talking to other recipients at my school, It seems that WICHE obligations change from state to state.

Hope this helps!

WICHE obligations change with every state.

eyenphx - i'm looking into wiche from AZ as well, and from the literature that i've received, as well as OD's who received wiche funding from az, i learned that you DO NOT necessarily have to go back to AZ to practice. you can re-pay half of the amount funded by wiche at a low interest rate, if you choose to practice elsewhere.

btw, which school are you attending - pacific or scco?