WICHE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranjis McBasketball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from AZ and will be trying to do the WICHE scholarship. So my question is, if I receive that scholarship am I considered a resident of all the WICHE states or do they still recognize that I am OOS and I still have a slim chance of getting accepted. For example, I was looking at University of Washington. They hardly grant spots to OOS students, but with WICHE am I considered a resident of Washington?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure for all the other schools, but for UW, you are not considered a Washington resident despite being a resident of a WICHE state. UW simply recognizes you are a resident of a WICHE state and your state provides the difference in tuition between in-state and out-of-state. Therefore, you get technically only have to pay the in-state tuition.

For admissions, there is a preference for WICHE residents compared to other OOS residents. The ranking is basically WA > WICHE > OOS.

This is what it says on the UWSOD website: "A typical entering class is composed of 85 – 90% Washington residents and the remaining 10 – 15% primarily from WICHE states (Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota and Wyoming, residents of other states who have attended high school or college in Washington state OR who are current applicants to the DDS/PhD program)."