Wiche

Started by hoodle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hoodle

UC-Davis DVM/PhD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
So, I'm a bit confused by how WICHE works. I'm a resident of Washington state. Colorado State and Davis both mention possible slots available for WICHE:

The University of California accepts a small
number of uniquely qualified nonresidents and applicants from
WICHE states.

and

Each entering class consists of 75 CO residents and 59 WICHE
and non-sponsored students. Most offers are made in late January.
Only Colorado applicants are interviewed...


How does the WICHE thing work?? any why did they choose 59 non-colorado people - that's such an odd number! what's wrong with 60! :laugh:
 
Hmmm.. not sure. I'm pretty sure this is differant from contract seats, which wyoming has with CO. tho those students go down as WICHE, I think...

how it works there is the school actually sponsors the students. Say wyoming has 8 seats in Ft. Collins for next year- they pick 8 or 10 students that are "worthy" from the vet aplicants, and they go into the contract/ wiche group. anyone else would go into general out of state. Or at least that's how they explaned it when I asked.

mainly, if your from one of those big empty states (resident, and for vet school, maybe school too...) you get in state (usually- not at davis) or in state +50% for tuition. Most of them pick the students separately from the other out of state students. it's just a way to give the larger/ lower pop. state students a shot at actually getting in.

Which works out pretty well, 'cause most of the big empty states don't have a vet school, but have tons of animals.

re: CO's class numbers- 60 out of state would mean an uneven class- and 1 group of three for every lab.

anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I usually am.

j.