Wiche...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.frahj

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anybody planning to apply for WICHE for the 2008 year? Is there anybody who already went through the process for 2007? I'm a Montana resident and I'm not exactly sure how the whole thing works, with application deadlines and such...
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The first step is applying for certification (to ensure you are a WICHE state resident) through your state's WICHE office; that application came out in July and was due in October for Hawaii. Then you pretty much just apply to your schools and when acceptances come in, forward copies of the letters to your WICHE office. Subsequently, all of your state's accepted WICHE students are ranked and the top are selected for the scholarship. The number of students supported depends on your state's availability of funding. For instance, I believe Hawaii supports 2-3 students each year.

You should just contact your local WICHE office for specifics because it may be different for your state. I'm no expert, but hope this helps!:)

The first step is applying for certification (to ensure you are a WICHE state resident) through your state's WICHE office; that application came out in July and was due in October for Hawaii. Then you pretty much just apply to your schools and when acceptances come in, forward copies of the letters to your WICHE office. Subsequently, all of your state's accepted WICHE students are ranked and the top are selected for the scholarship. The number of students supported depends on your state's availability of funding. For instance, I believe Hawaii supports 2-3 students each year.

You should just contact your local WICHE office for specifics because it may be different for your state. I'm no expert, but hope this helps!:)

Hi Lanikai,
How do they rank? that part confuses me. are we supposed to tell them every school we got into, or just which school we are going to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Pine,

I'm pretty confused about the ranking as well and I've tried to ask about it before. The WICHE office told me that the schools create the ranking, yet when I asked a few of the WICHE schools, they didn't seem to know very much about it. :confused: As for the letters of acceptance-don't know the answer to that either, but it would probably be best to send all of them...better safe than sorry!

I wonder how many Hawaii students are applying to dental school this year... hopefully not many to better our chances!:)

Hey Pine,

I'm pretty confused about the ranking as well and I've tried to ask about it before. The WICHE office told me that the schools create the ranking, yet when I asked a few of the WICHE schools, they didn't seem to know very much about it. :confused: As for the letters of acceptance-don't know the answer to that either, but it would probably be best to send all of them...better safe than sorry!

I wonder how many Hawaii students are applying to dental school this year... hopefully not many to better our chances!:)

Which year are you talking? If you are talking ´07, things aren´t looking so hot. The WICHE office made a big point in saying that even though only 2 or 3 people get the scholarship per year, so few hawaii kids go to dental school and apply for WICHE, so no one has been denied and don´t worry. But then there are at least twice as many applicants this year as there usually are. I don´t know exactly how many (they just told me "a lot" and "bad year to apply"), but I know that UMKC who usually interviews about 5 Hawaii kids a year, interviewed over 15. And I already know of 6ish people (who applied to WICHE) going to d school next year :(

If you are talking ´08, maybe everyone is applying this year, and next year will be no one :)

Either way though, our odds are still great compared to other states like arizona.

So are you applying ´07 or ´08?

yeah, i am from hawaii too, and would want to apply for WICHE for entrance to d school in 08...i hope the conditions are favorable so the odds are good!

for the private schools that participate in WICHE, do you know how much WICHE helps financially with those schools?

I'm also applying for 2007 entrance... wonder why the boom in HI applicants this year? I've tried to ask about the private school coverage as well, but without much luck. I assume that schools like USC will still be expensive even with WICHE, but every little bit helps, right?

I'm also applying for 2007 entrance... wonder why the boom in HI applicants this year? I've tried to ask about the private school coverage as well, but without much luck. I assume that schools like USC will still be expensive even with WICHE, but every little bit helps, right?

They gave us a sheet with the breakdown of payments WICHE makes to different schools...but that is back at my house in Hawaii and I´m in Costa Rica. Ask again in about a month and I can give you exact numbers. All I know is that for UoP, they pay about $80,000 total. Pretty sweet.

I don´t know why there are so many people this year. Probably just a random surge, exacerbated by the upward trend nationwide. What sucks too is the office is so poorly run. I don´t have much faith in them not losing an application or two. And I bet we won´t find out who gets it until a month or two after we are supposed to. Sorry for the negativity, I´m just so frustrated with them :oops:

I called the WICHE office today to inquire about sending letters of acceptance--they said to send all letters, even from non-WICHE schools. They again said that the WICHE schools rank the students and that the process should be finalized around August, when most of the admissions activity is done. They also confirmed that many HI students applied to dental school through WICHE this year, more than usual. However, they anticipate sponsoring 3-4 students this year, so that's also a bit more than usual. If you have questions, I'd just call WICHE... they've always been pretty helpful to me.

Hope you're enjoying Costa Rica, Pine!:)