Widener University PsyD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Psych

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if by chance anyone has any information or feedback about Widener University's Clinical PsyD program. From my standpoint, it appears to be very organized, offers a lot of practicum experience, and seems well-grounded in modalities and treatments that are empirically supported.

Any thoughts or additional information would be appreciated. Here is the link if anyone is interested. I know its rather long; copy and paste is a great thing.

http://www.widener.edu/Academics/Sc...Clinical_Psychology/PsyD_Program_Overview/391

Members don't see this ad.

its fabulous and i love it!!! most of the time :D

Shatani said:
its fabulous and i love it!!! most of the time :D

I take it you're a grad student in the program? If you would be so kind as to perhaps explain why you enjoy it so much? It looks like a great program. Thanks for your quick feedback.

- Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am looking at the program and have heard GREAT things about it also.

Shatani don't shoot me but I believe they are GRE ****** as they want to see really strong GREs. I talked to someone in admissions and she says you should have over 1000 on the GRE but the mean stats of admitted students are more like 11-1200ish.... So ive got some work to do! :) :(

I like that they give you experience with various treatment modalities and the practicum experiences are rich. GWU is heavily psychodynamic and doesnt even have a class built in on CBT! That turned me off but I am hoping that by the time I apply they will open themselves up to other orientations...

OTher than that Ive heard really good things. Seems like a good majority of the programs Im looking at in that area are pretty good. (Lasalle and MArywood)

Kevin Psych said:
I take it you're a grad student in the program? If you would be so kind as to perhaps explain why you enjoy it so much? It looks like a great program. Thanks for your quick feedback.

- Kevin
i enjoy the atmosphere of camaraderie that you dont often find in doctoral programs....the faculty is really great for the most part....very helpful and extremely receptive to students' issues....like you mentioned the program is VERY diverse and you do get a taste of everything....and i love the tracks and dual degree opportunities because you can focus on an interest without pigeon holing yourself, because you still get the general degree....the practicum stuff is fabulous! such a great array of opportunities! and widener has a good relationship with a lot of the area placements, so they basically hold spots for us at most places....the experience is invaluable....my first practicum was in community mental health, the second was in a private practice setting and this year im going to an elementary school....i am ECSTATIC about the captive internship now....at first i was a little bit bummed about it cuz i had elaborate fantasies of travelling far and wide to do my internship....but then the cold hard reality of the APICS system hit me and i thanked my lucky stars!!!

hmmmm.....i cant think of anything else....i might do better with more specific questions :D

Annakei said:
I too am looking at the program and have heard GREAT things about it also.

Shatani don't shoot me but I believe they are GRE ****** as they want to see really strong GREs. I talked to someone in admissions and she says you should have over 1000 on the GRE but the mean stats of admitted students are more like 11-1200ish.... So ive got some work to do! :) :(

I like that they give you experience with various treatment modalities and the practicum experiences are rich. GWU is heavily psychodynamic and doesnt even have a class built in on CBT! That turned me off but I am hoping that by the time I apply they will open themselves up to other orientations...

OTher than that Ive heard really good things. Seems like a good majority of the programs Im looking at in that area are pretty good. (Lasalle and MArywood)
i hear PCOM is also pretty decent...although, im not sure if its PsyD or PhD....and Rutgers is definitely a good program...the only reason i didnt apply there is because they didnt have forensics as an option...

i guess im in no position to say whether or not theyre GRE ****** cuz i did relatively well on mine (although, i thought it was pretty crappy, im told it was good)...so, i guess it didnt factor in for me.....a LOT is placed on the interview...ALOT!

dont hold your breath for GWU, Anna! i dont see them changing their minds any time soon! LOL! ive never heard of Marywood...i have no idea where that is....LaSalle is alright....from my practicum supervisors ive heard that a lot of the LaSalle students arent very well prepared....i didnt really know how to take that, since i felt like i knew SQUAT and was terribly unprepared....

Shatani said:
i hear PCOM is also pretty decent...although, im not sure if its PsyD or PhD....and Rutgers is definitely a good program...the only reason i didnt apply there is because they didnt have forensics as an option...

i guess im in no position to say whether or not theyre GRE ****** cuz i did relatively well on mine (although, i thought it was pretty crappy, im told it was good)...so, i guess it didnt factor in for me.....a LOT is placed on the interview...ALOT!

dont hold your breath for GWU, Anna! i dont see them changing their minds any time soon! LOL! ive never heard of Marywood...i have no idea where that is....LaSalle is alright....from my practicum supervisors ive heard that a lot of the LaSalle students arent very well prepared....i didnt really know how to take that, since i felt like i knew SQUAT and was terribly unprepared....

Ill try not to...I really do like their program because they have a child/adolescent track. I too am interested in Forensic but a Child/Adolescent track would be fine also.

I just looked at PCOM, they look OKAY, it is tailored towards working professionals so I like that alot. I need to see their admit stats to make a decision. Also, whats up with them wanting RESEARCH EXPERIENCE? Arent they a PsyD program? Just when I thought I'd moved away from that...
You also need a MAsters to APPLY there which should be fine. Thanks for the info on Lasalle, Ill be sure to pay attention when I go there for an open house in the coming year.

Now as for Widener, it is at the top of my lists. There are many programs that look good on paper or on the net but very few are well organized and student centered. Not to mention they are one of the first PsyD grad schools so I expect them to have it together by now...

I'm interested in Widener, as well. Shatani, are there any international students in your program? (I'm Canadian). Is Chester, Pa a small town/city? Are your placements nearby or can they be in larger nearby cities?

Sorry about all the questions, but I come from a big city and as a Canadian it can get pretty stressful trying to research American schools!
thanks

eugi said:
I'm interested in Widener, as well. Shatani, are there any international students in your program? (I'm Canadian). Is Chester, Pa a small town/city? Are your placements nearby or can they be in larger nearby cities?

Sorry about all the questions, but I come from a big city and as a Canadian it can get pretty stressful trying to research American schools!
thanks

Chester, um........ Don't let that throw you if you like the program.

eugi said:

thanks
yes, i believe we have a few international students....one of my classmates is from Venezuela (shes already a doctor there!)

chester....hmmm...well, its not a place i want to live....its a city...i dont know how small it is...but its kind of a dump (with the pretty campus plopped in the middle of it). i actually live in philly (right by UPenn campus) and commute to school...its about a 20 minute drive on average....i really didnt want to live in chester at all! but there are suburban areas that are really quiet and really close to campus....theres media, ridley park, prospect park, springfield...most people live in one of those suburban areas, philly or delaware....the JD/PsyD folks mostly live in wilmington because thats where the law school is...and the commute is REALLY short.

the placements are EVERYWHERE! theyre pretty much all over the tri-state area (i interviewed for two placements in new jersey last year)...its generally a decision based on where youre interested in going, and how far youre willing to drive to get there....if you live in philly, theres not too many problems because theres a lot of placements in the city....theres also a few near the school (two are in chester - one at a hospital and on working with sex offenders, i believe) theres placements in PA, NJ and DE....

Thanks, Shatani, you're info was extremely helpful! I had considered not applying b/c of the location but you've changed my mind (And yes, location is particularly important b/c I don't want to go to a small place in the middle of nowhere since my husband needs to find a job!!!).
thanks again!

youre welcome! yeah, its not a big city, chester....but its about 15 minutes outside the big city....

My husband will be in Philly to discuss his practicum placement for the PsyD program on June 21st -24th.

We're tight on money and were wondering if anyone has an extra couch he could claim for a few nights while he talks to the school and scopes out apartments/neighborhoods.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked into Widener extensively before deciding not to attend. It is a great program for all the reasons outlined (well-organized, different tracks, strong practicum offerings, captive internship) but I saw three major drawbacks. It is expensive (around $21000 a year just for tuition) and there is very little financial help available other than loans; it is large (class size is typically between 30-34 students); and it is heavily psychodynamic (you HAVE to take a Rorschach class and while there are professors and students with other orientations they are definitely in the minority).

Hi
I am also looking into clinical psychology program. I have heard that Weidner is a good school, but how many years does it take for clinical psychology. Do you need to have master's before starting clinical psychology because that is how it is in PCOM.. what are other good schools for clinical psychology? Please guide me...

That's a loaded question, and the answer to all of the parts of your question is "it depends."

Masters before hand is not necessary. However, getting a masters can be used as "stepping stone" if you are not competitive enough out of undergrad. However, getting a job as research assistant in a lab will likely benefit you even more in that case (unless you have a crappy GPA). Psy.D programs will average 5 years (4 years plus 1 for internship year). Ph.Ds will average 6 years (5 plus internship), although 7 years is also common and may even me more of the average now days. Most Ph.D programs are supported (i.e.,stipend and tuition remission), and most Psy.D Programs are not. Which equals big debt for most Psy.Ds. The Psy.D. degree does not have the large resesrch component through grad school as the more traditional Ph.D degree has. The Ph.D will be a more versatile degree, although Psy.D can most anything Ph.Ds do accpet research work and faculty positons (although there are some excpetions to this. There is some bias associated with the Psy.D. (but that is a whole other discussion). Admission to either is competitive, with the average acceptance rates for Ph.D varying from 2%-10% and Psy.Ds averaging 5%-25%. Competitive applicants have a received good and extensive research experience by volunteering during undergrad, have average undergrad GPAs above 3.5 and GRE 1200 or above, and strong letters of recommendation from faculty. So yes, it is very very competitive. Schools that will be good for clinical will depend greatly on your individual goals. It's about match. A place that has faculty researching what you want to research. Do you want a "balanced" program, or one that is more focused on the resesrch aspect of clinical science? So there is no one place that is the best. It will just depend on what places are doing what you are interested in.

Last edited:
Hi
I am also looking into clinical psychology program. I have heard that Weidner is a good school, but how many years does it take for clinical psychology. Do you need to have master's before starting clinical psychology because that is how it is in PCOM.. what are other good schools for clinical psychology? Please guide me...

In general, most clinical programs take 5-7 years average to complete. Keep in mind that there are people who take longer for various reasons. And you're still not done with training once you graduate, since you get the privilege of completing a post-doc (or multiple post-docs).

Most clinical doctoral programs IN THE U. S. do not require a master's degree in order to apply to them. There are a number of counseling programs that require it. The handful of programs I looked at in Canada also required a master's.

Good schools for clinical psychology include ones that will admit you and that are a good fit with you regarding your research (& other) interests or needs.

Guide you? Where exactly are you in this whole process? High school? Undergrad? Close to graduating? You may receive different information dependent upon where you are currently in your academic career.

Thank you very much for the reply...
I am an undergrad student, and i'm a biology major/pre-med as I was planning to go to med school. Now I'm stuck between clinical psychology(Psy D) or psychiatry. I don't know which one will suit me the best. I want to work in hospitals settings and mainly with the patients with mental illnesses. What do you think which one would be the better way to accomplish that. I, also, want to know which one will take the less time to finish. do you think as i'm not psychology major, it'll affect my chances of getting in Psy D programs. Please let me know...

Thank you very much for the reply...
I am an undergrad student, and i'm a biology major/pre-med as I was planning to go to med school. Now I'm stuck between clinical psychology(Psy D) or psychiatry. I don't know which one will suit me the best. I want to work in hospitals settings and mainly with the patients with mental illnesses. What do you think which one would be the better way to accomplish that. I, also, want to know which one will take the less time to finish. do you think as i'm not psychology major, it'll affect my chances of getting in Psy D programs. Please let me know...

How much debt would you like with that degree?

I was talking to one of our Psychiatrists (UT grad, Ill Residency) and she related that she was in debt to the tune of about $200k, Most Psy.D's will have about $120-150k in debt.

The Psychiatrist will make about double that of a Psy.D. or Clinical Ph.D. with some serious variance depending on venue. If you are looking to work with more severe mental illness (Schizophrenia, Bi-Polar, etc) both offer opportunities. I am a little biased and believe that, despite being trained as a Psychologist, Psychiatry may be the better route for working with this population.

Obviously, Psy.D's and Clinical Ph.D.'s work with the severely mentally ill, and usually are used in combination with Psychiatrists. Also Psychologists work in hospital settings as well. The difference is mainly in treatment modalities, training, and (of course) in salaries. Psychologists may not prescribe medications but often have a great deal of influence regarding what medications might be prescribed in some more collaborative settings.

There is no one best path for everyone. There will be a "best" path for you. You should look at the training time, ROI, and what you personally feel most in tune with. You are going to invest heavily in either path, both personally and financially, so making a good choice is really important and having a long term perspective critical.

Mark

PS - ERG923, I wasn't trying to say that they were the same at all, but rather that we might end up with the same clients shared between disciplines... Psychiatry and Psychology are VERY different, but complementary disciplines. It's a little more blurred in my case where I am in a Medical School Setting with a clinical degree that focuses on a biopsychosocial model which encourages the integration of disciplines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would echo what MarkP has said but also stress that psychiatry and clincial psychology are very different actually. Although both work with psychiatric populations, the things they do and their perspectives are very very different. In other words, the career paths and job responsibilities are very different. Again, it is what is best for you. Although this is by no means the only difference, the most glaring difference is the training in the medical model and psychopharm for psychiatrists, vs, training in psychometric assessment and psychotherapeutic interventions for psychologists. Going to med school without an interest in general medicine will likely be frustrating.

PS: Psy.D. is typically 5 years post undergrad (4+1 year internship), and many people are doing post docs after that. Totally will be 6-7 years with post doc. Med School is 4 years plus 3 years of psychiatry residency. 7 years total

Last edited:
In addition to what's been said, I'd start studying for the Psychology GRE subject test. Since you're not a psychology major you'll most likely be required by most schools you apply to to take it anyhow but if you do well on that it might make up for your major. Do really well on it.

Thank you so much for all your help...
so from your responses i can conclude that Psy.D and psychiatrists can have similar work environment. The only major difference would be salary. Psychiatrists will make more than psy. D.
clinical psychologists can work in hospital or medical school settings, but just can not prescribe medications. Am I right?
I think I have made up my mind. I am gonna apply to Weidner for sure..are there any other good schools that have Psy. D. Program and do not require to have masters degree first.

Ph.D/Psy.D's and psychiatrists have very different foci, so first figure out what you want to do, and then figure out what programs meet those needs.

In general, a psychiatrist will make more on average because of higher reimbursement rates for short amounts of time (15 minute med checks v. 50 min sessions).

Thank you so much for all your help...
so from your responses i can conclude that Psy.D and psychiatrists can have similar work environment. The only major difference would be salary. Psychiatrists will make more than psy. D.
clinical psychologists can work in hospital or medical school settings, but just can not prescribe medications. Am I right?
I think I have made up my mind. I am gonna apply to Weidner for sure..are there any other good schools that have Psy. D. Program and do not require to have masters degree first.

I would read my second post to you again, that is far from the only difference. The training is different, the job is different, responsibilities are different. Clinical psychology is a much broader field than than psychiatry, and a Psy.D or Ph.D. will encompass alot more than leaning about psychopathology. This includes research and research methodology, personality theory, learning theory, principles of behavior change, psychometric theory, and psychometric assessment of intelligence, personality, cognitive functioning and psychopathology, and various psychotherapeutic principles. Psychiatrists really do not receive this training (with the exception of some brief education in psychotherapeutics). Psychiatrist come from a medical model and medical training. Diagnosis is done through interviewing and treatment (usually psychopharm) is implemented. Clinical psychology also has many subspecializations including forensics, neuropsycholoogy, health, etc. The role and services you provide to the patient vary drastically between psychiatry and clinical psychology. Research the actual roles and typical job descriptions of each field first before you decide. Lastly, no doctoral program in psychology requires that one have a masters before entering. The masters is earned along the way during the doctorate. As I said before, people can get terminal masters degrees first to use as a "stepping stone" (since they are less competitive) if they have less than stellar undergrad records or GPAs. However, the majority simply go right into a Psy.D/Ph.D program and earn the masters on the way to the doctorate. Alos please be aware that mostg Psy.D programs are not housed in typical universities, but free standing professional schools of psychology. These can give you good educations, but they are for profit businesses. They will cost a fortune and require substantial loans unless you are independently wealthy. This is controversial for many reasons, not the least of is the market saturation of clincial psychologists in some parts of the country that have driven salaries down. My advice would be to stick to university housed Psy.D programs, as they are the most respected, and typically offer at least some financial support. Unfortunately, many are just as many competitive ad Ph.D. programs where admission rates are typically less than 10% of those who apply.

Last edited:
Lastly, no doctoral program in psychology requires that one have a masters before entering.

Generally true, but not entirely.

I know in the US Pepperdine requires a master's. I wouldn't be surprised if a few others do as well, though its rather rare.

In Canada, it seems somewhat more typical to require you to have a master's. Some schools *cough* YORK *cough* hide this via poorly worded forms and uninformed staff so they can collect undeserved application fees.

Not that I'm resentful or anything;)

Now it makes much more sense...Thank you.
PCOM also requires you to apply for master's before entering into clinical psychology program. That's why I was wondering...