Wierd question when applying for a credit card...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FruitFly

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called to get a new credit card today, and they asked me, "What is your student ID number?" (a few questions after I told them I was a student)

Is this a normal question to be asked? And are they allowed to ask this? (They may be allowed to ask, but the customer is not legally required to answer it, is what I'm thinking). Isn't there a Federal Law that protects students' academic information? FERPA, perhaps... I forgot the acronym, but I declined to give it and cited Federal academic privacy right, and said I've never been asked this question in all the years I've had credit cards. I offerred to get a letter from my registrar stating I am enrolled, blah blah blah. They budged and didn't even take me up on the offer. (With all the information they take, they could probably get my student # themselves lol.)

It all worked out well. I just found that question VERY strange.

(And they gave me beans for credit, anyways :p... Not worth the whole life story... Maybe if it were a house or something, I'd make an exception.)

Members don't see this ad.

I called to get a new credit card today, and they asked me, "What is your student ID number?" (a few questions after I told them I was a student)

Is this a normal question to be asked? And are they allowed to ask this? (They may be allowed to ask, but the customer is not legally required to answer it, is what I'm thinking). Isn't there a Federal Law that protects students' academic information? FERPA, perhaps... I forgot the acronym, but I declined to give it and cited Federal academic privacy right, and said I've never been asked this question in all the years I've had credit cards. I offerred to get a letter from my registrar stating I am enrolled, blah blah blah. They budged and didn't even take me up on the offer. (With all the information they take, they could probably get my student # themselves lol.)

It all worked out well. I just found that question VERY strange.

(And they gave me beans for credit, anyways :p... Not worth the whole life story... Maybe if it were a house or something, I'd make an exception.)

What is this student id number that so powerful? When I was a student in undergrad, my id # could only be used to verify that I was enrolled at the school and the information gave my name and class standing.

Does your student id number give more information than that? I presume it is used to verify you are a students at whatever school you are at, so they can weigh their risk (sort of like credit cards asking me for my annual salary since I'm working)

What is this student id number that so powerful?

It can be used to obtain academic records. It's not for outside services, it's for services within the school. It's a poor operation if that's the only way they could verify if a student attends a certain school. So they can't call the school and say, 'does so and so attend this school?', but they have some magical right because they obtained the student's ID#? How exactly does this transpire.

I understand that they need to verify things, but a letter from the registrar just seems a little more less stalker-ish, than giving out every personal identification number I have for only $1000 credit. The kneecappers will know where to find me when I miss my payment. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why you care so much about your student ID number. Every loan (incl. CC) application that I have ever filled out required an SSN, and that is MUCH more sensitive information.

You might ask your registrar what someone can do with your student ID number (assuming it's not your SSN) but I doubt that it's much.

It can be used to obtain academic records. It's not for outside services, it's for services within the school. It's a poor operation if that's the only way they could verify if a student attends a certain school. So they can't call the school and say, 'does so and so attend this school?', but they have some magical right because they obtained the student's ID#? How exactly does this transpire.

I understand that they need to verify things, but a letter from the registrar just seems a little more less stalker-ish, than giving out every personal identification number I have for only $1000 credit. The kneecappers will know where to find me when I miss my payment. lol

This is why we live in a (psuedo) capitalist nation. Just walk away.