Wilderness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flighterdoc

Rocket Scientist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a great sub-forum!

Is there a listing anywhere of FP programs with a wilderness emphasis? I know about the Montana, Alaska and Maine programs but is that it?

I'd rather take Rural to the extreme 🙂

Thanks!
 
I think Fresno has a Wilderness program but i'm not positive. Try searching the Wilderness Medicine Society. They also offer a "fellowship" in wilderness medicine which basically consists of attending a bunch of confrences and doing some modules. I don't know where it would get you in the long run, but you meet a lot of new friends.



flighterdoc said:
This is a great sub-forum!

Is there a listing anywhere of FP programs with a wilderness emphasis? I know about the Montana, Alaska and Maine programs but is that it?

I'd rather take Rural to the extreme 🙂

Thanks!
 
swaamedic said:
I think Fresno has a Wilderness program but i'm not positive. Try searching the Wilderness Medicine Society. They also offer a "fellowship" in wilderness medicine which basically consists of attending a bunch of confrences and doing some modules. I don't know where it would get you in the long run, but you meet a lot of new friends.

interesting - didn't know they did this sort of thing.

I bet this type of program would really suit those who are hard core missionary types who go on to practice in third world nations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bad. @ss.

I've heard of me schools offering electives to residents and students, but I've never heard of a track or fellowship. That's freaking cool. I'm a city boy and cub scout DROP-OUT, and I consider laying out by the pool as being out in the "wilderness" myself. While 3 years in Montana or Alaska may as well be 3 years of hardship building the Trans-Siberia railroad with a screwdriver, I think it would be cool to round up some FM and EM residents and do a 1-week CME for fun.

Not knowing anything, Montana program sounds pretty structured. I googled "wilderness" and "family medicine" and found lots of sites. Marshall (WV) apparently has a track too to add to your list and there are some faculty members at Reno, NV who have interests in wilderness med.

Keith Brown from U Nebraska has a course (http://www.gmrsltd.com) in Belize for residents and medical students, but I'm guessing you're looking for something more intense.

Other CME's from the search was: www.wilderness-medicine.com and www.wms.org has a good list of CMEs through out the year.

Keep us posted as to what you think are good ones and which ones are just lame.
 
flighterdoc said:
This is a great sub-forum!

Is there a listing anywhere of FP programs with a wilderness emphasis? I know about the Montana, Alaska and Maine programs but is that it?

I'd rather take Rural to the extreme 🙂

Thanks!


there is another FM program in Colorado that emphasis rural, I'll dig through my stuff to try and find it later. eta: St. Mary's FM

Residency Program Curriculum

The format is 13 four-week blocks.

Our curriculum meets all requirements for the AAFP, American Board of Family Medicine and the ACGME.

Ambulatory Care: 2 weeks — Just like a real practice

Business/Practice Management: 1 week intensive experience with faculty and key professionals (in and out of our office) and longitudinally-topics at Education Day, Colorado Physicians Insurance Company Practice Management Class, AAFP Residency to Reality course.

Cardiology: 1 block; local cardiologist group

Chief Resident: 2 blocks in 3rd year; oversee the inpatient service as a junior attending; 8 call nights

Community Medicine: 2 blocks, exposure to local programs and clinic procedures; about 3 call days total

Dermatology: 3 weeks; w/dermatologist group

Electives: 5 blocks-planned with your mentor to meet your individual interests. There is a wide variety of elective options to cover any special interests and to tailor your education.

ER: 1 block

Gynecology: 1 block, work in family planning clinic at Public Health w/focus on procedures including colposcopy

Internal Medicine: 7 ½ blocks at SMH; includes ICU care; q4 call

Neurology: 2 weeks; w/ neurologist group

Night Float (Mole): 8 weeks; 6pm-7am shifts M-F covering phone calls and ER visits for our practice

Obstetrics: 3 blocks; q4 call

Orthopedics: 1 block; w/orthopedics group

Pediatrics: 4 blocks total

* Denver General-Pediatric Urgent Care Clinic: 1 block, no night call
* NICU: 1 block; 1 on 1 with a neonatologist
* Pediatrics: 2 blocks with pediatric group, real life inpatient and outpatient experiences.

Psychology: 1 week and longitudinally

Rural: 1 block; Buena Vista, CO, population 2,150, with two of our graduates (where morning rush hour traffic may be a herd of elk!)

Sports Medicine/Orthopedics at Copper Mountain Resort: 1 block (paradise!)

Surgery: 2 blocks, about 5 call days
Surgery Subspecialties:

Ophthalmology: 2 weeks; w/ophthalmologist group

ENT: 3 weeks; w/ENT group

Urology: 2 weeks; w/urologist group​

If I was even remotely interested in FM, I might consider this one,