Wildlife Rehabilitation Experience

Started by mpang
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mpang

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I am considering whether I should start volunteering at this wildlife rehabilitation centre, it's pretty far from where I live, but I think it would be great experience to have. So far, I have about 200 hrs of small animals (and I still volunteer at the clinic twice a week), and 40 hours of large animals, I really need something to boost my animal experience. what do you think? I am not working at the moment, the cost of transportation and stuff, I am not sure whether it worth the time and money. Or I can just continue with the small animal volunteering, and try to get volunteer there over the summer (if possible). Thanks.
 
You should definitely try and gain as much experience as you can, anywhere you can. Wildlife rehab stuff does look good on applications, because it is not something that everyone can do. You also gain awesome experience working with really unique animals. Even if it is just once a week to start, I would definitely go ahead and jump on that opportunity. I had a rehab internship the summer after I graduated, much to my parents' dismay (it was stipened, so really I made no money). But I gained an AMAZING experience from it, a vet school recommendation, and some great friends. You really cannot go wrong with something like this...
so to sum up. DO IT! It's worth it, especially if you are even thinking at all about maybe doing exotics/wildlife stuff in school.
 
How far away are we talking? In general, wildlife rehab is not only good experience for pre-vets, it's fun and interesting. So, I would say go for it, but since you mentioned that it's far away it depends on how interested YOU are. You don't have to be a wildlife person, certainly, but if the thought of dealing with birds and small wild mammals doesn't interest you at all, maybe it wouldn't be as fun for you. Or, maybe you'll find something new you like!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I am considering whether I should start volunteering at this wildlife rehabilitation centre, it's pretty far from where I live, but I think it would be great experience to have. So far, I have about 200 hrs of small animals (and I still volunteer at the clinic twice a week), and 40 hours of large animals, I really need something to boost my animal experience. what do you think? I am not working at the moment, the cost of transportation and stuff, I am not sure whether it worth the time and money. Or I can just continue with the small animal volunteering, and try to get volunteer there over the summer (if possible). Thanks.

I am/was in a similar boat. I had about that much small animal experience along with some equine and almost zero production animal. I spent the last year volunteering at a wildlife rehab center as well. I think it was interesting and worthwhile on the application.

Couple thoughts.

First, try and make sure that your work there is under the supervision of a vet, so that it can go in the "Veterinary" section of the application as opposed to the "Animal" section.

Second, try to keep accumulating experience - at least a little - in whatever area you plan to pursue. Even if it's only a few hours a week, it will keep you fresh on current issues and it will show on your application that you're continuing to put effort into that area of experience. Even if you have to cut back to a few hours a week, I think there's a subtle but positive value in having "3/2010-present" on your application instead of 3/2010-3/2011" or whatever.
 
Hi futurevet3000, thanks for the quick reply, I really need that reassurance, I am just concerned about the cost that involved. I am consdering to get some part-time job, my saving is drying up really fast (I quitted my job a year ago and went back to school), it's been difficult to adjust to the new life, from making a good living to watch my spending every step of the way....
 
Hi guys, thank you for all the replies, I got the message, DO IT. I will submit my application tonight, I know it would be an excellent experience, the only thing is I am scared of the prospect of spending more time and money everyweek (they require a minimum of 4 hours/week). Thanks again.

One more thing, does anyone out there worry about the financial part of this whole journey? The vet who I am working with gave me one and only one suggestion, "Try not to accumlate too much debt", so....
 
I spent an entire summer during an internship at a wildlife refuge (Woodlands Wildlife Refuge in Pittstown, NJ) and it was by far the most amazing experience.

I not only gained ~500 hrs of animal experience but I also got to work with raccoons, opossums, skunks, rabbits, chipmunks, bats, squirells, black bears, canadian lynx, woodchucks, foxes...etc. You name it! It was absolutely amazing and getting to work first hand (giving food, medications etc.) with these animals is once in a lifetime opportunity.

So bottom line...do it while you have the chance! 👍

A little side note: I drove 40mins one way 5 times a week to the refuge. No stipend, no compensation, and no regrets!
 
I have devoted my life to wildlife rehabilitation, it is the most amazing thing you could ever want to do. You get to take in sick and injured animals that stand zero chance without your help and get them back to where they can resume their wild lives. It is so rewarding and fun. I have been a volunteer at a center 30 minutes from my house for 8 years now and I have opened my own non-profit 501 (c)(3) wildlife rescue and have all my permits to take in all legal wildlife in Ohio. To say I am hooked on wildlife rehab is definitely an understatement. I'd say if you are even remotely interested in wildlife to go for it. You might even be able to become a babysitter and take babies home with you and raise them yourself, which would give you more experience hours (that time would only be animal experience, but both are important). If you are going for vet experience though, make sure a vet is on site and you will be working under the vet or it will only be animal experience that you gain. Unfortunately, the nearest center to me with a vet on site is over 2 hours from me 🙁, so I can't get any vet experience in the wildlife department, but I have over 6000 animal experience hours working with wildlife.

The one downside, and it's a big one is that if there is no vet on site it is all animal experience no matter what you do for the animals and how much hands on medical experience you get. That's the boat I'm in, but if I had it to do all over again, I would do it all again. I love rehabbing, it is my life and it is what has led me to want to become a vet.
 
I know you already said you were going to apply, but I just thought I'd go ahead and say I think you should do it! If you have any interest in wildlife at all, it is a wonderful opportunity. Working in a wildlife rehab clinic is by far my best pre-vet experience yet. I liked it better than my current zoo internship, which I think says a lot (for me, at least). I drove between an hour and an hour and a half each way to get to and from my wildlife rehab internship, three days a week. I was totally exhausted by the time I came home each day (not to mention covered in sweat, dirt, raccoon poo, dove formula, and much more), but it was totally worth it and I am really wanting to volunteer there again one day a week this summer.
Bottom line, I thought it was awesome, and I hope you do too!
 
Hey, mpang! I encourage following through with the experience, but do keep your money in mind (I spent a summer at an unpaid internship but was unable to find a job. It was INCREDIBLY difficult for me personally). I know this summer, whether I get in or not, I'm going to do shadowing closer to home rather than go far away for a potentially great experience.

Money isn't everything, but it is worth thinking of if you have impending expenses *cough*vetschool*cough*