Will a dental career count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Issabee

Reaction score
I'm a non-trad career changer just starting my pre-med journey. I've been a dental hygienist for 5 years and was working front desk/ insurance before that.

I definitely plan on shadowing physicians as well as volunteering in my local emergency room, but I was curious if my patient care experience as a hygienist will be looked upon favorably. Is it comparable to something like a medical assistant? I do a lot of similar things like vitals, med review, injections, and in my state have the power for diagnosis of periodontal disease.

Should I look for a job that is more whole body focused?

Members don't see this ad.

I would argue yes. Dental care is healthcare, and you are directly involved in patients' dental care. Plus it's way more hands-on than what most other premeds are doing. Definitely list it. You'll still need physician-based experiences, but you already know that. And in my opinion, I don't think doing MA work would be so much more valuable that it would be worth taking such a pay cut. Just do some volunteering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users