Will a dental career count as clinical experience?

Started by Issabee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Issabee

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a non-trad career changer just starting my pre-med journey. I've been a dental hygienist for 5 years and was working front desk/ insurance before that.

I definitely plan on shadowing physicians as well as volunteering in my local emergency room, but I was curious if my patient care experience as a hygienist will be looked upon favorably. Is it comparable to something like a medical assistant? I do a lot of similar things like vitals, med review, injections, and in my state have the power for diagnosis of periodontal disease.

Should I look for a job that is more whole body focused?
 
I would argue yes. Dental care is healthcare, and you are directly involved in patients' dental care. Plus it's way more hands-on than what most other premeds are doing. Definitely list it. You'll still need physician-based experiences, but you already know that. And in my opinion, I don't think doing MA work would be so much more valuable that it would be worth taking such a pay cut. Just do some volunteering.
 
Last edited: