Medical Will a suspension from a DUI ruin my future chances of admission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into two schools this cycle (one T20 the other around 30) but got a DUI so cannot attend and have to serve a 2.5 year suspension.What would be the earliest that I could apply if I show improvement? Next cycle? The cycle after that? Or many cycles. Open to both MD and DO.

stats are 520/3.94 if it matters. Thanks for the advice.
I understand that you are in a vulnerable place right, but I can't sugar coat this. Your medical career, if not actually over, is in a state of DEEP stasis.

And do not think that DO schools will treat your issues more lightly than MD.

Here's the mindset that you're facing from all Adcoms:

Is this the sort of person we want as a student?
Why accept this person when we have so many other candidates who haven't done anything wrong?

Normally, my advice is that one apply when one has the best possible app.

In your case, you will need to take several years off and get as much time as possible between the DUI and applications. AND, engage in positions of responsibility.

Honestly, sunflower, while I (and my colleagues) can be forgiving of DUIs, we reject people who get them later in their college careers, and/or more recently, like 1-2 years ago. It shows that one hasn't matured and/or doesn't know better. And the fact that you have a substance abuse history makes me even lessing willing to accept a candidate such as yourself. the risk of relapse is quite high, and med school and residency are a furnace.

Lastly, you need to own this. We have rejected people who didn't.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay thank you for the candid advice. In your opinion would it also be wise to take the time off to study for the DAT in case med school is no longer an option. Maybe I could get into maxillofacial surgery.
Dentistry doesn't like to be thought of as a backup. Most dental schools are very wary of accepting anyone with a DUI within the last few years too. Did you inform both schools? Did they both tell you that your offers were rescinded?

Also will it help at all if the DUI charge doesn’t result in a conviction? There is no chemical or behavioral evidence, it is all circumstantial. The suspension will still appear on my transcript but it won’t go into detail. I just feel so lost right now. Of course what I did was wrong and stupid but I feel like my life is pretty much over based on one albeit major mistake.
1) Yes, not having a conviction will help, big time. Every school asks about convictions
2) Some schools do ask about arrests.
3) The suspension will still have to be explained, and will likely be the app killer

Status
Not open for further replies.