Will adcoms ask about the one C on my transcipt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geneexpression

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and if so, do I tell how I honestly feel about it, or do I lie and make up some fluff story about learning from the experience of performing poorly in a class?

My situation is that I have a 3.95 GPA. Made an A in every single class I ever took with the exception of a Music Appreciation class in which I received a C. So if you look at my transcript, it looks like:

A
C
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
etc. The C sticks out like a sore thumb.

I know how eyerolly it can be when students blame their poor grades on crappy professors, but in my situation, I honestly do believe that the C was due to a crappy professor. I mean, the guy was fired a couple of semesters after I took his class because so many students complained about his course design. I think the fact that I was able to pull an A in every single other course suggests that maybe something really was off with the way that professor taught, but then, I know how ridiculous it sounds when students whine that a bad professor ruined their GPA. Would it be in my best interest to lie and say that I accept full responsibility for my poor performance in the class, I learned from the experience, yada yada?

Members don't see this ad.

Your academic history is fine, don't worry about the C.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, do you really think you're even gonna get an interview with that C?

Reactions: 1 users
I know the one C won't ruin my chances of getting an interview. I'm not that oblivious. My question is more whether or not they may ask me what happened in that class and if I should give my honest opinion in that situation.

I know the one C won't ruin my chances of getting an interview. I'm not that oblivious. My question is more whether or not they may ask me what happened in that class and if I should give my honest opinion in that situation.
It was music appreciation. It won't happen, but say they did ask you. Blaming your professor on your poor grade would be bad move. I don't see how you could get a C in music appreciation. It's on you.

Just don't worry about it.

I would show this guy's RateMyProfessor ratings to give an idea of how miserable of an experience virtually all students had with him, but that would border on giving away my identity, which I know is a no-no on SDN. lol. I can admit when a poor grade was my fault, but I also will not claim responsibility for a poor grade that I think was unfair because that's just blatant dishonesty...unless I'm talking to a med school interviewer, in which case, I will do what I have to. :p

Thank you for the replies, everybody. :)

I highly doubt it. Sure, it sticks out, but look at all of the As you received. I wouldn't worry about it, and it probably won't come up in interviews. If it does, just tell the truth as to why you got a C in the class. Simple.

Reactions: 1 user