Medical Will ADCOMS cut full-time workers slack on shadowing experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had one school reach out to me about my lack of shadowing experiences via a phone call. They emphasized that clinical shadowing is weighed heavily and my application really lacks shadowing experiences (I have accumulated only 6 hours). During undergrad I worked to support myself while going to school full time and I never could really fit in shadowing on top of everything else. Now that I have graduated, I am trying to get more shadowing experiences, but it just feels near impossible. To get the 6 hours I have now I had to use a vacation day and I really can't afford to do it anymore because I'm using most of my vacation days for interviews. I have a good amount of clinical experience and I currently work full time in clinical research, but to my understanding ADCOMs still want shadowing on top of clinical work. I work full-time 8am-5pm M-F which is the same time most clinics provide primary care treatment and shadowing opportunities. I have been sending in applications to larger healthcare entities, but I just feel as though I am just being stonewalled by corporate processes and many hospitals don't offer shadowing anymore. With application costs on top of living costs, I can't afford to miss any work to shadow on M-F.

Do you have any advice on ways to get shadowing experience outside of traditional work hours? I am thinking EMS physicians since Emergency Rooms are open 24/7, but am not having any luck after reaching out.

In my upcoming interviews if I get asked why I am lacking more physician shadowing, will saying it has been difficult due to working full-time seem like a cop-out to ADCOMS?
Time mgt is crucial for success as a med student.

It is also important to show that you understand what a doctor's day is like, and how different doctors approach the practice of medicine.

Therefore you have to get the shadowing in. Now remember medical schools are not going anywhere, and you're in a marathon now not a Sprint so take the time you need to build the best possible application and apply when ready

Members don't see this ad.

I can't afford to miss any work to shadow on M-F.

In my upcoming interviews if I get asked why I am lacking more physician shadowing, will saying it has been difficult due to working full-time seem like a cop-out to ADCOMS?
That you work traditional hours might be an excuse for not being able to acquire office-based, longitudinal-care shadowing, but it won't excuse having none at all.

That said, many pediatric offices and all Walk-In/Quick Care-type clinics have Saturday and even Sunday office hours. Why not reach out and offer your volunteer services in exchange for some shadowing time?

I will look into this some more. A lot of programs I have looked into specifically state volunteer services are separate from shadowing experiences. Some of the these clinics don't allow shadowing and volunteers have very limited rolls (clean beds, get snacks, and patient discharge). I currently have accumulated over 150 volunteer hours and I am in clinical work. From my understanding though ADCOMS differentiate between clinical work/volunteering and shadowing.
The volunteering can be used to network some shadowing. And you're correct, shadowing is not clinical volunteering or work, UNLESS it's scribing. Scribing is glorified (and paid) shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you have a role that includes both categories, it's fine to split out the hours and list each under the appropriate tag, so long as you don't double count the hours.

I actually didn't intend the "volunteer" role to be substantive, but rather that the offer might enhance cooperation with your shadowing needs, which need not exceed 40-50 hours along with what you already have.

understood!
1) In the eyes of ADCOMS is a shadowing experience in a specific specialty weighted heavier than others, or are they all equally weighted? I've been told in the past that ADCOMS would like to see shadowing in primary care/family medicine.
2) I currently only have shadowing in psychiatry and can continue to accumulate hours in that specialty, however I have been trying to diversify my application by seeking out emergency medicine and primary care experiences.
1) I would look at Primary Care shadowing most positively, which includes Psych, Peds, OBGYN, Internal Med, and Family Med. I would look at OR shadowing least favorably, as there's not much physician-patient interaction when one of them is unconscious. I would look askance at any applicant that includes only highly-selective specialties that are very difficult to match into. A mix of primary care and subspecialty is fine, or the primary care can stand on its own if it gives exposure to a range of medical conditions.

2) Excellent plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.