Will AEGD allow career networking like GPR will?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok if i was to go into a residency for 1 to 2 years eventually, one of my main reasons most likely would be to establish career contact -- dentists with which i would like to do an associateship and eventually buy out for my own practice. Are you likely to encounter these types of people while doing a GPR/AEGD?

Does a GPR/AEGD allot this opportunity for associateship networking or is it something that you must acquire elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

The VAST majority of your networking will come through attending lunch and learns, dental conferences, and CE courses.

You'll meet other professionals and dentists through the residency programs, but by and large they will probably be involved in academia and generally not have a practice looking for an associate.

The dentists you meet in your AEGD or GPR won't all be academic types. I specifically asked at all interview what the residents do upon completion and was a little surprised to learn that some of them go to work for some of the attendings as associates. Many times, attending dentists are private practice docs who come to the GPR/AEGD one time a week as a different experience from the daily office routine.

As far a making connections, it's up to you to do it. Make the best of what you're offered. Even if you didn't work for the attendings at your program, I'm sure they would know of other docs in the area looking to sell or take on an associate. Word of mouth can be bigger than you think, and it takes some effort on your part to find something that suits you. Many times, dental company reps know which offices are looking for associates b/c they deal with the supply ordering for the office on a regular basis and have an established relationship with the doctor. And all the ways Gavin mentioned are also good ways to network with fellow dentists.

Networking is one of my priorities for doing a GPR after graduation. It'll give me a chance to learn about the dental community in NYC, an area I'd like to be in but know little about and currently have zero connections there. If I were to stay in my current location, I wouldn't have to rely on a GPR/AEGD so much to find connections for an associate position b/c I know many practitioners and it's easy for me to meet them being a "hometown" local.

You'll have to put the effort out to meet potential dentists for associateships at some point - either while you're in dental school or during your residency. A residency is also a great way to learn and and practice many procedures you get little or no exposure to in dental school like endo (root canals), implants, perio surgery, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by griffin04
Networking is one of my priorities for doing a GPR after graduation. It'll give me a chance to learn about the dental community in NYC, an area I'd like to be in but know little about and currently have zero connections there.

Hey, and what are the 30 or so classmates you have from the NYC area (including myself)? Chopped liver? :D

I don't need my fellow UB classmates in the NYC area for dental connections...

I need you guys for social hookups!

B/c in addition to knowing zero dentists, the number of current friends I have in NYC can be counted on one hand (don't even need all the fingers).

Meet for lunch/dinner sometime? I'm up for it!

Originally posted by UBTom
Hey, and what are the 30 or so classmates you have from the NYC area (including myself)? Chopped liver? :D

awe! well at least you're not chopped pancreas. :oops: