Medical Will Be Transferring from a Small 4 year to a bigger + better university . Where should I take my med school pre requisites ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will taking my pre reqs at a 4 year college be considered the same as in the case with community colleges? I wish to take the MCAT summer before my junior and wish to finish the pre reqs before that . will med schools take it the wrong way ?
I'm sure there are some schools that will have AdCom members subconsciously place more emphasis on a 4-year college instead of a community college. Doesn't mean you won't get in at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Little confused. Your title says transferring from a small 4 year to a better 4 year. Community colleges aren’t 4 years, so why are you asking about taking them at a CC?

I took many of my prereqs at CC and was never asked about it for the record.

Will taking my pre reqs at a 4 year college be considered the same as in the case with community colleges? I wish to take the MCAT summer before my junior and wish to finish the pre reqs before that . will medschools take it the wrong way ?
Prerequisites aren't going to be the issue, but how well you comprehend the Information to prepare for the MCAT and medical school will be. I would also reach out to schools well in advance to address your questions.

I meant to refer to the fact that there’s this thing going around that medical schools donot prefer if you take your pre reqs at a cc and then other courses at a 4 year . However if you take your pre reqs at a smaller, easier 4 YEAR COLLEGE and THEN transfer to a harder and more reputed university, will that look bad on the application too ?
would that be considered the same as if i had taken pre reqs at an easier college just to get good grades
No difference. Some smaller schools are as tough if not tougher. We see a track record from the small schools, including the "easier" ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant to refer to the fact that there’s this thing going around that medical schools do not prefer if you take your pre reqs at a cc and then other courses at a 4 year . However if you take your pre reqs at a smaller, easier 4 YEAR COLLEGE and THEN transfer to a harder and more reputed university, will that look bad on the application too ?
would that be considered the same as if i had taken pre reqs at an easier college just to get good grades

Nope. As long as it’s a 4-year you should be good. If I could go back I wish I would have attended my smaller, earlier state school.

Status
Not open for further replies.