Will having to retake two classes (both sciences) hurt my chances?

Mar 19, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey everyone!

So I've had two rough semesters in college where both I had personal issues dealing with anxiety, etc etc (one semester leading to the other). The first bad semester, I got a D in OChem 1 and retook it and got a B+. The second semester, I got a D in a Biostat class and plan on retaking it this coming Fall. My current GPA is around a 3.0-3.1 and I'm on the road to making straight A's the last 3 semesters I have left and I'm taking the DAT at the end of April or beginning of May.

I know ochem is a big part of the DAT and hopefully retaking it and getting a significant higher score looks good, I HOPE. But still these two classes haunt me all the time and really make me wonder if my chances are slim of even getting an interview from any of the schools I apply to.

I'm big on extra-curriculars and have shadowed last Fall and will start again very soon this semester, so I'm trying to make sure I have my bases covered in the mean time.

I'd appreciate everyone's opinions/suggestions! :)

OG1

OrthoGunner #1
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Status
I got a D in biochem the first time I took it, and C's in both O chem classes, and several other C's. It certainly doesn't help to have those things on your transcript, but the most important thing is your overall science grade and especially the trend of your grades. If you're getting straight A's now and do well on the DAT, you'll be fine. No point in sawing sawdust and worrying about past grades.

Even with a 3.1 science GPA and all those C's and a D, I still got into two dental schools. Work hard and apply smart and you shouldn't need to worry about those classes anymore.