Will I be competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maki68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently taken the pcat and did not do so well on RC and Verbal. Just getting worried about whether or not I am competitive. I have done a lot of volunteering activities both science and nonscience as well as a pharmacy technician job. But here is the break down of my scores. Will I have to wait another year and retake my pcat before I can be competitive?

bio: 92%
Chem: 85%
Quant: 85%
Verbal: 18%
RC: 14%
composite: 64%

Extracurricular activities:
Volunteer at hospital pharmacy for a year and a half.
Secretary and Vice president of Japanese Association for about a year
Mentor for Japanese Language for about a year
Teacher Assistant for Human Anatomy and Physiology
Have 2 letter of recommendations from pharmacists, 1 from volunteer coordinator and 1 from science professor.
Pharmacy technician for about a year, >900 hours

Cummulative GPA: ~3.5
Math/Scicene GPA: ~3.3

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently taken the pcat and did not do so well on RC and Verbal. Just getting worried about whether or not I am competitive. I have done a lot of volunteering activities both science and nonscience as well as a pharmacy technician job. But here is the break down of my scores. Will I have to wait another year and retake my pcat before I can be competitive?

bio: 92%
Chem: 85%
Quant: 85%
Verbal: 18%
RC: 14%
composite: 64%

Extracurricular activities:
Volunteer at hospital pharmacy for a year and a half.
Secretary and Vice president of Japanese Association for about a year
Mentor for Japanese Language for about a year
Teacher Assistant for Human Anatomy and Physiology
Have 2 letter of recommendations from pharmacists, 1 from volunteer coordinator and 1 from science professor.
Pharmacy technician for about a year, >900 hours

Cummulative GPA: ~3.5
Math/Scicene GPA: ~3.3
I have lower PCAT score than yours. Little higher GPA (3.77 cum and 3.86 science). "0" Pharmacy expierence. But I've got an interview invitaion. Thought I had to retake the PCAT to be competitive but I guess I was competitive enough to get the interview. However, it really depends on which school you're applying to. Go ahead and research the requirements for the schools you want to apply. Even though you think that you're not strong enough, I guess it's worth to just give try. You never know what's gonna happen. My first choice was Belmont University and I got an invitation from Belmont. I'm so happy to preparing for the interview.

You are solid. I have friends who have gotten alot worse scores than that on the PCAT and had similar gpa's, and got into the pharmacy schools of their choice. As long as you have good English skills you should be able to nail your soon-to-come interviews and get in. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything is great, just make sure the schools you apply to don't have a minimum requirement for subscores, my school has it at 25, but Idk if I've seen any others

Thank you for everyone's responses!
I am worried that my 64% composite will be an issue, but I feel a little relieved now!

Do you guys know when pharmacy schools start sending out interview invites? I know each school varies, I'm just wondering when most schools send out interview invites.