Will I enjoy pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moony

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a foreign medical graduate and have just started in an Internal Medicine Residency program.I have never had much exposure to pathology apart from the pathology courses in the basic sciences year of my medschool.
Can somebody elighten me to what kind of experience a pathology residency entails and what kind of work do pathologists do here in the USA.What are the differences between CP and AP.How interesting is each one.
I am beginning to think that clinical patient care may not be my cup of tea and am exploring some nonclinical/patient care specialties and pathlology comes to mind.Are there any websites someone can point me to about what exactly the field entails(P.S I dont want websites comparing different path residencies, I want to know what pathologists actually do?)
I know this sounds more a medstudent type of question, but if I dont risk sounding ignorant , I will always be ignorant about this field.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi there, i think i found a site that might come in handy for ya, it's ascp's website. it gives the basic definition and duties of a clinical pathologist and a bunch of other stuff. i hope you get your questions answered, good luck!

ascp

:)

Thanks Dolly, That was a helpful start.
Anybody know of anymore sites.Any info on the job opprtunities for pathologists after residency.I've heard that its been bad in the past few years.Any chance of the trend changing in the next 4-5 yrs?Great Pumpkin, any insight?
Thanks

Try out http://www.cap.org/html/general.html# at the bottom of the page is a link for Pathology as a career in medicine.

For job opportunities please run a search of the forums we have had big discussions on the subject.

Maybe soon we can have a pathology specialty forum and info will be much easier to find...(hint hint nudge nudge you site administrators.)

Once you check these out ask anything you didn't get answered.

good luck.