Sep 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Hello, Everybody
I am little sad right now, because I do not think I will get into PT school .I am going to apply on November, December and etc., because I kept on postponing my GRE test. Honestly, I am not good at time tests ,:(my overall GPA is below average . I am planning to take the test on the first week of October . I made a D on Bio mechanic, and the second time I took it I had a B. On my Psychology lifespan class I made a C ,but now I have an A. That is the only 2 classes I retake in my whole college career. The main reason why I made those grades because at the time my Dad was really sick. and I was too far from home, I was really in depression mode. I graduated from TWU in Kinesiology last May .

My stat
3.28 PTCAS without PTCAS is 3.37
Pre req 3.5-3.7
GRE: I will update that once I get it done
Observation hours : 100+
I made all A's and B's in my science and Math classes
Do you guys think I will have a good chance into Pt school??

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I think your GPA is definitely high enough for you to gain acceptance somewhere. Don't sweat the D in Biomechanics (as long as you retake it) - it isn't a pre-req. Study hard for the GRE and shoot for at least a 150-150-4.0. My only concern for you would be the writing section. From what you've written here, it is unclear whether you are a native English speaker. I would take a few practice tests and utilize ETS's scoring service.

Romazicon

2+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2014
Status
Physical Therapist
Study maybe 1-2hrs a day for 2 weeks, take a practice exam or two and look at your weaknesses. Then keep on studying and work on the weaknesses. GRE prep books help too (I like the Princeton review) :) I studied for 4 days and took a practice test day 1 and day 4 (I was in a rush to apply for early admissions so I took a risk). I had a 297 the first test, and a 306 the second. I got a 302 and 4.0 AW as my official scores. So that's a little insight on what I went through.

I was born in Mexico so the verbal section was the worst for me at 145 but my quantitive got me to above average at 157. Like Watson27 said, do a couple of practice exams and study consistently, don't blow it off if you want to make a good score. I hate the GRE, I don't think I will retake it (since I have a chance to get in with my observation hrs, LORs and grades, ask to see stats if you want) and I already have an Interview with 1 of the 3 schools I applied!

Could you clear something up though? 100+ observation hours, outpatient? inpatient? all in one setting? a number of settings? 200 hrs? 300 hrs? Elaborate and we may give you an input on where to focus on.

Watson's advice about the Biomechanics course is spot on. :) How many schools are you applying to and where?

Reactions: billairen123

DesertPT

5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Physical Therapist
What do you mean should you change your major? Why would you change your major when you are about to graduate?

And I'm not trying to be cruel or burst your bubble, but you may want to consider applying only to schools with no GRE minimum, because I think getting ready for the writing section is going to take you more than the two or three weeks that you have left. They also may have to be schools with December and January deadlines, as you may not make the Nov. 3 batch of schools.

OP
billairen123
Sep 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
What do you mean should you change your major? Why would you change your major when you are about to graduate?

And I'm not trying to be cruel or burst your bubble, but you may want to consider applying only to schools with no GRE minimum, because I think getting ready for the writing section is going to take you more than the two or three weeks that you have left. They also may have to be schools with December and January deadlines, as you may not make the Nov. 3 batch of schools.
I am sorry everybody, for putting a lot of run-on sentences on my post. English is my first and only Language ; but writing it is my weakness. The only problems I have with writing is simple grammar errors;I live in a uneducated environment.

Last edited:
OP
billairen123
Sep 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]

Thank you for your advice !! I am not a good type writer or writing anything period.

OP
billairen123
Sep 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Study maybe 1-2hrs a day for 2 weeks, take a practice exam or two and look at your weaknesses. Then keep on studying and work on the weaknesses. GRE prep books help too (I like the Princeton review) :) I studied for 4 days and took a practice test day 1 and day 4 (I was in a rush to apply for early admissions so I took a risk). I had a 297 the first test, and a 306 the second. I got a 302 and 4.0 AW as my official scores. So that's a little insight on what I went through.

I was born in Mexico so the verbal section was the worst for me at 145 but my quantitive got me to above average at 157. Like Watson27 said, do a couple of practice exams and study consistently, don't blow it off if you want to make a good score. I hate the GRE, I don't think I will retake it (since I have a chance to get in with my observation hrs, LORs and grades, ask to see stats if you want) and I already have an Interview with 1 of the 3 schools I applied!

Could you clear something up though? 100+ observation hours, outpatient? inpatient? all in one setting? a number of settings? 200 hrs? 300 hrs? Elaborate and we may give you an input on where to focus on.

Watson's advice about the Biomechanics course is spot on. :) How many schools are you applying to and where?
That is what I am aiming for is to do well on my Math.
I think your GPA is definitely high enough for you to gain acceptance somewhere. Don't sweat the D in Biomechanics (as long as you retake it) - it isn't a pre-req. Study hard for the GRE and shoot for at least a 150-150-4.0. My only concern for you would be the writing section. From what you've written here, it is unclear whether you are a native English speaker. I would take a few practice tests and utilize ETS's scoring service.
Thank you for your advice ! I will definitely try to get the book from Amazon as soon as possible. At the moment I am still doing my observation hours . I am doing inpatient with 2 different Physical Therapists . One in the hospital and the other in the clinic. Analytical Writing and possibly Verbal Reasoning is my weakness, but I will try to do very well on the math section on the test. I been studying like 20 words a day , since September. Hopefully those words will be on the test and I hope I score at least 3.5 on the writing part of the test :/ . I really want to ask you some more questions about the GRE ,but I perfer privately though; if you do not mine.

Last edited:
OP
billairen123
Sep 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]

I am applying to 6 schools.
The schools that I am applying are University of the Incarnate Word, UTSA, UTICA,Langston University ,Hampton, and Florida International University.

OP
billairen123
Sep 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Thanks man !! I will post my Gre score once I am done.

Romazicon

2+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2014
Status
Physical Therapist
That is what I am aiming for is to do well on my Math.

Thank you for your advice ! I will definitely try to get the book from Amazon as soon as possible. At the moment I am still doing my observation hours . I am doing inpatient with 2 different Physical Therapists . One in the hospital and the other in the clinic. Analytical Writing and possibly Verbal Reasoning is my weakness, but I will try to do very well on the math section on the test. I been studying like 20 words a day , since September. Hopefully those words will be on the test and I hope I score at least 3.5 on the writing part of the test :/ . I really want to ask you some more questions about the GRE ,but I perfer privately though; if you do not mine.
Sure! Write me a personal message!