Will I get Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lkrowe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.3 GPA with a bachelors degree in science. I played college softball for and graduated from a major university May of last year. I have been working as an Intern this year with a university but now I have decided to go to optometry school. I am going back and taking the 4 pre-req I don't have this Fall. I took the OAT and scored a 320. I know that is not great. Should I retake it??? I have a ton of Community Service hours and Awards. I was a college athlete for all 4 years. and I grew up working with my dad who is an optometrist. Do I need to bring up my GPA or OAT??? WIll I have a chance in getting in in 2010 if I apply in Sept??? and is it ok i will still be taking those classes when I apply???

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.3 GPA with a bachelors degree in science. I played college softball for and graduated from a major university May of last year. I have been working as an Intern this year with a university but now I have decided to go to optometry school. I am going back and taking the 4 pre-req I don't have this Fall. I took the OAT and scored a 320. I know that is not great. Should I retake it??? I have a ton of Community Service hours and Awards. I was a college athlete for all 4 years. and I grew up working with my dad who is an optometrist. Do I need to bring up my GPA or OAT??? WIll I have a chance in getting in in 2010 if I apply in Sept??? and is it ok i will still be taking those classes when I apply???

Yours is an average application. As such, I wouldn't discourage you from applying but I would apply as early as humanly possible. If you get in great, if you don't, you'll have plenty of time to ask them why you weren't admitted and then either take more courses, or improve your OAT score.

But with stats like that, I would apply. Don't reject yourself. Let them reject you.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think your GPA is very good, especially for a student-athlete. I know how hard it is to keep a high GPA while being a student-athlete.

If anything your OAT is a tad bit weak. If you have below a 300 in any section, I would retake it and try to aim for a 340 or so. And it's important to apply early. This is the first year for the OptomCAS which launches on July 15th, so if you can, try applying before September (I can't stress this enough!). Start working on your application now if you can because it takes time to organize a strong application. Get your Letters of Recommendation, Transcripts, Official OAT scores, and essays ready. I would apply with the scores you have now and contact the school(s) you are applying to and see if they would like for you to retake the exam.

Good luck.

Last edited:

What is your pre-requisite GPA?

I would recommend that you re-take the OATs over the summer if you have the time....and try to shoot for at least a 340 .....start applying EARLY...I think the application cycle begins July 15th so don't wait till September...just apply when the application cycle opens....it takes time anyway to do essays, etc. If you apply early...you get interviewed in the first batch...and you have a higher chance of getting accepted because you will be competing for 120-180 seats instead of 10 or 15 versus if you apply later!