Will I get in to SGU? (3.23, 37P)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm a Canadian who, so far, hasn't gotten any interview invites in the US or Canada, so I'm a little depressed and am considering SGU as a backup.

I suppose I'm a somewhat non-traditional applicant, I had a horrible first 1.5 years (including failing calculus), then took 2 years off to work/reevaluate my interests. I've since worked my ass off on a BSc. in biology getting almost all As and A+s and now my overall GPA is 3.23 and overall science is 3.54. My MCAT is 37P (11VR/14PS/12BS). I've had lots of research experience (with a great reference) and 11 months of volunteering at a hospital.

Any guess at my chance of being accepted at SGU?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody,

I'm a Canadian who, so far, hasn't gotten any interview invites in the US or Canada, so I'm a little depressed and am considering SGU as a backup.

I suppose I'm a somewhat non-traditional applicant, I had a horrible first 1.5 years (including failing calculus), then took 2 years off to work/reevaluate my interests. I've since worked my ass off on a BSc. in biology getting almost all As and A+s and now my overall GPA is 3.23 and overall science is 3.54. My MCAT is 37P (11VR/14PS/12BS). I've had lots of research experience (with a great reference) and 11 months of volunteering at a hospital.

Thanks

If your GPA for the last few years has been good, look at Queens, UofT, Manitoba, UWO, etc. who will only look at your best 2 years, drop your worst 30 credits, or other forgiveness policies.

if you do not get into SGU, I would eat my stethoscope:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course you'll get in. You are CANADIAN!!

Have you tried mededits.com?

Hello everybody,

Thanks

Your gpa is really decent and your MCAT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!Now damn man 37 thats really a good score:thumbup: keep up the good work brother.

Only good lords know about you getting accepted or not. I can only guess and seems like it that you have a good shot.

Good Luck to yaa.

Your gpa is really decent and your MCAT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!Now damn man 37 thats really a good score:thumbup: keep up the good work brother.

Only good lords know about you getting accepted or not. I can only guess and seems like it that you have a good shot.

Good Luck to yaa.
What are you, Roman or something??

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

leviathan, I have applied to Queens, UofT, and UWO. I didn't apply to Manitoba due to the fact that only 8 OOPs were accepted last year (08-09 MSAR) and the average GPA was 4.03/? ? Queens isn't looking good as it appears their WS cutoff will be Q. Similarly, UWO is a no-go as they have posted a Q cutoff. I have yet to hear from UofT, but I'm not getting my hopes up, and McMaster did not send me an invite when everyone else got theirs (01/22).

A factor which may hurt my American applications is that I completed most of the secondaries in November and December, and I've since learned how rolling admissions work, and that it's much easier to get invites and acceptances if you apply early.

pedsnnyc, no I didn't employ an editing service, but I think my essays were pretty good, and that it was my early coursework (overall gpa) and lack of positions in student clubs/varsity athletics, etc. that has sewered me.

I think the bottom line is that the man doesn't like me, no matter how smart I am. :( And so, since I'm about to turn 25, I'd rather move on with an MD at SGU than take my chances up here again.

An important question that now comes up is: If I pull off amazing scores on the USMLEs, will I be able to overcome the stigma of an IMG when it comes to residency matching? Are there any stats that show associations between scores and specialty matches?
**Edit: I've found that this has already been discussed ad nauseam, and that plenty of IMGs get good matches, and exam grades are part of the application**

If you're so set on moving along (as we all were), are you not considering Ireland. Only a bit more expensive overall than Carib and will be MUCH better for reentry to Canada.

If you rock your USMLEs then residency SHOULD go smoother. it says so in the Official Student Doctor Network Medical School Admission Guide. Fantastic read. I learned so much from it.

And dvan, if you DON'T get in somewhere with those scores, then you better consider what's wrong with the rest of your application. Extracurriculars are not chopped liver. Essay is important, too. But serisouly, if you don't get in somewhere I'll eat oldpro's stethoscope (I don't have one).

The US medical colleges, to my knowledge, don't report stringent "cutoffs" when it comes to MCAT marks. The MSAR does report the weakest and strongest scores that were reported, as well as the averages. I have lived in Canada for 9 years now and i have heard how difficult it is to get in. If they don't want you, they don't want you.

Do you not find it curious, even ironical that Canada is in serious need of physicians, yet I've heard nothing about them expanding the current schools. And what are they doing to lure their doctors back to Canada? If they don't want you, f*** 'em. Get your education elsewhere, and come back later. There are tons of foreign physicians here. Five of the six or seven physicians I have seen in the Emergency Room at St. Mary's GH in Kitchener have THICK foreign accents.

I suppose all is well in the state of Denmark.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have three interviews in as many weeks coming up at US schools. At this point I think there must be potential for US AdComms to view my app as decent. I'm (obviously) hoping that one of these three accepts me. If not I think I will reapply early and give it one more shot before going IMG.

Glad to hear.. See if you can use the interview feedback info here on SDN for your upcoming interviews.

Good luck

You should probably be competitive but the school is going to see an imbalance between your GPA and MCAT. You might have some explaining to do to the adcom. They might think with a stellar MCAT and mediocre GPA that you did not give 100 percent during your undergraduate studies. They will also look at how you spend your time outside of school, things like volunteer work, research, any kind of employment etc. A lot of schools will pick a well rounded student with a 3.6 and 30 MCAT versus someone with a 4.0 and a 38 who studies all the time. I actually knew two classmates of mine with those stats, the one with the lower GPA and MCAT held down a full time job and was supporting a wife and baby, the latter was always studying.

Update: I got accepted two days after my interview.

Update: I got accepted two days after my interview.

Did you get into SGU?

Congrats SGU is a awesome school, it sure is expensive though.

Good Luck in med school.

Man your MCATS ROCKS!!!! What did you do for preparation? Any prep courses?

Did you get into SGU?

Congrats SGU is a awesome school, it sure is expensive though.

Good Luck in med school.

Man your MCATS ROCKS!!!! What did you do for preparation? Any prep courses?

Actually, my impression was that dvan got into a US school. Was that the case?

Hi, sorry for the confusion. I got into SGU. My US interviews are this week and next.

Hi, sorry for the confusion. I got into SGU. My US interviews are this week and next.

Well lets wait for the US interviews as well.

Good Luck!!!