Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Will I get in?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by tnkd, Sep 29, 1999.

1. tnkd

tnkd Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi everyone,

I took the August MCAT, so I guess I won't get the result back until mid-Oct. However, according to my performance on the pratice exams, I will probably get something like a 6V,11P,8B. I have a 4.0 GPA, two years of research in biopsychology and organometalic chemistry. I also have some medical related exp. plus extracurricular activities. My only exlanation for the 6V is that I speak English as a second language and I have not been in the US for a long time. What do you think of my chances of getting into an osteopathic school?

Also, I am in the process of filling out my secondaries right now. I have so much problems with questions like, "why do you want to go to our school?" Where do I go about to answer this sort of question?

Another thing is, some Os. schools require a letter from a DO. What's the deal with this? How would I obtain a letter from a DO when I don't any of them? Please help.

my email addy is: [email protected]
    more info about me at: <a href="http://www.angelfire.com/tn/osteopathy"> www.angelfire.com/tn/osteopathy

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. miglo

miglo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That 4.0 will either definitely help or hurt you. Hear me out. If you have a 4.0, most schools would expect your MCAT to correlate with it. This is just my opinion, but if you got a 4.0 as a chemist major (pretty damn good) your expected MCAT score should be something like 6V (assuming you're like me with crappy verbal scores) 14P 13B. So be prepared to explain the descrepancies.

Are you sure you want to go to osteopathy? You might want to shadow a DO or read up about it.

Most schools want to make sure that you are SERIOUS about osteopathy, hence the DO letter requirement, before they consider you. Good luck dude.

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

4. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You must go to the phonebook and find an osteopathic physician under "physicians". Call some of them and leave a message that you are interested in the profession and would like the chance to meet them and possibly observe them for a day. Hopefully, someone will return your call. You must be persistant. I STRONGLY URGE you to obtain a recommendation letter from a D.O. if you apply to osteopathic medical school, whether they say it is required or not.

5. young guy np

young guy np Member
    10+ Year Member

with a 4.0 and that projected MCAT, you should get some interviews. after that then its more how you are than your stats. to get a DO letter call around starting from A. some will be willing because they were once in the same position. sometimes it helps if you give a resume because one day of shadowing may not be enough time to get to know you.

young guy np