Will I have to retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhorse

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college with my BS in 2003, animal science degree. After a few years in corporate america, doing something totally unrelated, I know it's time to return to school and pursue veterinary medicine. I'm in NJ right now but looking to relocate to NC, TN, GA or WI. I would work for 1 yr under a vet while gaining residency, then start school to get my undergrad prereqs done.

I have taken Bio I & II, Chem I & II, Stats, Genetics, Microbiology. Will I have to retake these courses as they are now aged?

Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated college with my BS in 2003, animal science degree. After a few years in corporate america, doing something totally unrelated, I know it's time to return to school and pursue veterinary medicine. I'm in NJ right now but looking to relocate to NC, TN, GA or WI. I would work for 1 yr under a vet while gaining residency, then start school to get my undergrad prereqs done.

I have taken Bio I & II, Chem I & II, Stats, Genetics, Microbiology. Will I have to retake these courses as they are now aged?

Thanks.:)

depends on how old they are and where you are applying.

Some schools won't take anything older than six years, but for some it's eight and for others it's ten. Some might not care at all. It all depends on the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, those are some majorly different states! Any particular reason those are the list? WI really seems the odd one out!

Each school is different. Some may require you to retake. Some don't set an expiration date on grades. Others will use them however old they are, unless you request they ignore your entire GPA from X back, but that would include the fact that you ever took them at all. Some will let you substitute in more recent higher level courses in the same area. Some specify what level the course must have been at.

NC State has no expiration date on pre-reqs. From the admissions website:

There is no time expiration or time limit on required courses. Courses could have been completed 5, 10, 15, etc. years ago in an applicant's post-secondary academic career.

They also require a 3.4 GPA minimum from OOS applicants. I was lol'ing as I crossed them off my "maybe" list for next year's apps. Haha. Probably not an issue for many applicants, though - just pointing it out. :)