will i make it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bionicokie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes I am currently a 3rd year. I got a 238 on step one and took step two early and got a 252. I've published fifteen (first author) papers in multiple anesthesia journals. I've been running my own cases in my free time for the last five years. So what are my chances of matching a good anesthesia spot? Do I need to look at another specialty? I heard it's really competitive this year and want to be ready for next year. Let me know what you think...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Are you kidding? With your board scores and publications, you couldn't possibly that insecure. Please be a bit more confident (unless this is a joke) b/c you will make it into a great program. Otherwise, the rest of us are in trouble.

Are you kidding? With your board scores and publications, you couldn't possibly that insecure. Please be a bit more confident (unless this is a joke) b/c you will make it into a great program. Otherwise, the rest of us are in trouble.

Uh, woah. Just.... woah.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to sound angry. I was trying to make a point that with his awesome scores and publications, he'll do great and shouldn't worry so much;)

Yes I am currently a 3rd year.
I've been running my own cases in my free time for the last five years.

Can you please explain what you mean? As a college junior pre-med you started practicing Anesthesia. Can you please explain what practice environment you were in that allowed the unlicensed practice of medicine or are you also an AA or CRNA?

some people need to get their sarcasm meter fixed...

Can you please explain what you mean? As a college junior pre-med you started practicing Anesthesia. Can you please explain what practice environment you were in that allowed the unlicensed practice of medicine or are you also an AA or CRNA?

This confused me too. Part of reason why I asked if this was a joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll probably have to apply widely.

I think the okie may have just won the contest of least prolific poster. That's like one post per year.

If only he spent half the time on SDN that he has committed to his handsome research portfolio.......

Again I just have to echo bruins "WHOA!" I'm gonna have to quit making jokes at interviews.

Yes I am currently a 3rd year. I got a 238 on step one and took step two early and got a 252. I've published fifteen (first author) papers in multiple anesthesia journals. I've been running my own cases in my free time for the last five years. So what are my chances of matching a good anesthesia spot? Do I need to look at another specialty? I heard it's really competitive this year and want to be ready for next year. Let me know what you think...:rolleyes:

So let me get this right. You write one post calling anesthesia "our" specialty meaning that you are in the field. You post in the FP forum stating that you are in a FP residency. And now you are a 3rd year with a resume that I find hard to believe. May I suggest you post some in the psych forum since you are obviously versed (not midazolam) in multiple personalities.

Threads like these scare the KRAP out of me! I can not believe people are this gullible. How do you interview Pts?

"Sir, I see you have fulminant hepatitis and a belly the size of atlanta, you say you don't drink?, I will write that down as gospel..."

nope, sorry, you'll have to settle for a spot in dermatology somewhere.

best of luck.

This thread made my day. I dont know if I have the bionic cookie or the ninja to thank for it.

... and I thought that I was the only medical student with 15 pubs and 5 years of running cases by myself;) . If only I had the USMLE scores.

This thread makes me feel better about my chances this year.

????????:eek:

Sorry guys I couldn't help myself. I've been checking these forums for several years now. (Yeah, back when I thought FP was for me.) Every year it's the same thing.

"I got a (insert stellar board score here). Will I match?"

Half the time I don't know if it's some nerd trying to show off his sweet test-taking skills or someone who's just incredibly insecure.

To those of you who really want to know what it takes... ask a resident. Last year there were 17 people in my class who went into gas. Some of them were brilliant while some were on the other end of the spectrum. Most of us were just everyday med students. You know, the ones with the average board scores. Most of us got our first choice.

To all the current 4th years: Don't spend an otherwise fantastic year worrying about what's going to happen in March. You're going to miss out.

And if any of you folks come to OU for a visit. Come find me... I'll be the one with the ear-to-ear grin.

hugs and kisses - bionicokie
:cool:

I agree with Bionic. Using SDN as a reference for the competitiveness in whatever the field is in question is a bad bad idea. My personal experience stems from the med-school app process where it's the same thing on the pre-allo page: "I have 3.9/38/research/volunteering, will I get in?" It only takes the *title* of a thread like "MOST COMPETITIVE MATCH EVER" to get people's blood boiling.

And how the hell did your school match 17 students into anesth?

And by the way, I thought your username was "Bionic Cookie" the first time I saw it...which I think is way cooler anyway.

If all the above is accurate you will easily match in any of the top 15 programs...Good job and stay confident, peace.

Can I say "wow". After all the prior posts, "wow" One more time, "wow"

If all the above is accurate you will easily match in any of the top 15 programs...Good job and stay confident, peace.

I can almost see the blank expressions over the internet!!

Sorry guys I couldn't help myself. I've been checking these forums for several years now. (Yeah, back when I thought FP was for me.) Every year it's the same thing.

Half the time I don't know if it's some nerd trying to show off his sweet test-taking skills or someone who's just incredibly insecure.

To those of you who really want to know what it takes... ask a resident. Last year there were 17 people in my class who went into gas. Some of them were brilliant while some were on the other end of the spectrum. Most of us were just everyday med students. You know, the ones with the average board scores. Most of us got our first choice.

To all the current 4th years: Don't spend an otherwise fantastic year worrying about what's going to happen in March. You're going to miss out.

And if any of you folks come to OU for a visit. Come find me... I'll be the one with the ear-to-ear grin.

Dude u got me...didn't read all postings before my response...funny thread:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And how the hell did your school match 17 students into anesth?

And by the way, I thought your username was "Bionic Cookie" the first time I saw it...which I think is way cooler anyway.

Dunno how it happened, it just went down that way. I went to Univ. of Oklahoma (grad class was around 155 folks) and we have a pretty stellar anesthesiology externship program for third and fourth year. The P.D.s we interviewed with were very interested in it. I think that was a big part of it.

Damn it you're right. Bionic Cookie is waaaay better. I could've been called cookie for short.

Guys, I really think the original post is just someone trying to have some fun. Calm down-some people just have too much time on their hands.

Guys, I really think the original post is just someone trying to have some fun. Calm down-some people just have too much time on their hands.

OOOOOHHH... wow, that original poster got me good! I started applying to FP residencies because I couldn't compete with them! I'm gonna go withdraw those apps now. :laugh:

I laughted out loud when I read this thread and found people actually took it seriously.

To the 4th years: Don't worry. Anes is not much more competative than the average residencies. We had 22 or 23 MATCH into anes from my school last year. Some were great applicants while a couple of them that matched would probably have been boarderline competative for a FP spot. If you haven't straight out almost failed out of medschool you should get a spot. Damn this thread is funny!!!

Please dont explain yourself. It will never be funny to them. I liked you better when you were quiet and sarcastic.