Will I need to do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexi_

Reaction score
I was a non-science major (graduated last spring) but I took all the pre-reqs and I’ve finally submitted my application to AMCAS. Unfortunately, I was sick one semester and failed some classes, which made my Science GPA a 3.1 even after I retook them and did decently (B and B+). I did okay on my MCAT (510) and my overall GPA (also brought down by AMCAS’ calculation) is 3.5. I have pretty good volunteering and leadership experience, plus some research, and my letters of rec should be good.
My question is: should I plan on applying to SMP’s as a “backup” in case my poor science GPA/late application combo outweigh the strengths of my application? Are there any SMP’s that begin in Winter/Spring semesters, or do they all start in August?

Members don't see this ad.

One semester of failed courses shouldn't really bring down your sGPA all the way down to a 3.1. Your 3.1 sGPA indicates that either you had a massive downward trend, or that your performance in science classes in general wasn't too great in the first place before the sick semester. In my opinion, you shouldn't only apply to SMPs as a "backup"; SMPs should be your #1 priority. Your GPAs are really not competitive for MD schools currently, especially with your 510 MCAT. I would say to skip this cycle altogether and kill it at an SMP. This is coming from an applicant with similar stats to yours (even was a non-science major, but took pre-reqs) that was accepted to an MD school after killing it in a SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
One semester of failed courses shouldn't really bring down your sGPA all the way down to a 3.1. Your 3.1 sGPA indicates that either you had a massive downward trend, or that your performance in science classes in general wasn't too great in the first place before the sick semester. In my opinion, you shouldn't only apply to SMPs as a "backup"; SMPs should be your #1 priority. Your GPAs are really not competitive for MD schools currently, especially with your 510 MCAT. I would say to skip this cycle altogether and kill it at an SMP. This is coming from an applicant with similar stats to yours (even was a non-science major, but took pre-reqs) that was accepted to an MD school after killing it in a SMP.

Unless OP is fine with DO. If so, apply now

Members don't see this ad :)
Is an MS in Chemistry a good substitute for a postbac program? I'll only have to pay $7 a year instead of 25-30k. If so, should I bother doing the thesis? (copying and pasting since I can't post links yet)

DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Chemistry students earn their M.S. degree after completing a total of 30 credits. They must take the 2 required courses, Chem B1000 and B5000, worth 5 credits each, and any combination of electives for 20 credits.

CURRICULUM
Required Courses
B1000: Inorganic Chemistry
B5000: Organic Mechanisms

Elective Courses
A1100: Environmental Chemistry
A1101: Environmental Chemistry Lab
A1200: Environmental Organic Chemistry
A1400: Chemical Information Sources
A8200: Chemistry-Physics-Engineering Seminar I
A8300: Chemistry-Physics-Engineering Seminar II
B3000: Polymer Chemistry or CHEM 73000
B5100: Organic Synthesis or CHEM 75100
B5200: Spectroscopy and Structure Proof in Organic Chemistry or CHEM 79002
B6000: Quantum Chemistry or CHEM 76000
B8900: Introduction to Research Methodology
B9100: Basic Lab Techniques or CHEM 79001

Is an MS in Chemistry a good substitute for a postbac program? I'll only have to pay $7 a year instead of 25-30k. If so, should I bother doing the thesis? (copying and pasting since I can't post links yet)

DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Chemistry students earn their M.S. degree after completing a total of 30 credits. They must take the 2 required courses, Chem B1000 and B5000, worth 5 credits each, and any combination of electives for 20 credits.

CURRICULUM
Required Courses
B1000: Inorganic Chemistry
B5000: Organic Mechanisms

Elective Courses
A1100: Environmental Chemistry
A1101: Environmental Chemistry Lab
A1200: Environmental Organic Chemistry
A1400: Chemical Information Sources
A8200: Chemistry-Physics-Engineering Seminar I
A8300: Chemistry-Physics-Engineering Seminar II
B3000: Polymer Chemistry or CHEM 73000
B5100: Organic Synthesis or CHEM 75100
B5200: Spectroscopy and Structure Proof in Organic Chemistry or CHEM 79002
B6000: Quantum Chemistry or CHEM 76000
B8900: Introduction to Research Methodology
B9100: Basic Lab Techniques or CHEM 79001
Please don't cross post the same question in more than one place. Also, it's best not to piggyback a question onto someone else's thread about a different topic.

I only took twelve or so science classes in total, so poor grades in even one of them brought it down a lot. I’d have had like a 3.7 science GPA if grade replacement were a thing.
May I ask how you chose what school to do an SMP? I only just learned that that was an option.
Thanks for the advice.

I only took twelve or so science classes in total, so poor grades in even one of them brought it down a lot. I’d have had like a 3.7 science GPA if grade replacement were a thing.
May I ask how you chose what school to do an SMP? I only just learned that that was an option.
Thanks for the advice.
What was your year by year sGPA? Have you taken all the pre-reqs?

SMPs are a dime-a-dozen. I recommend finding one with a decent tuition ($50K is too high), has a single year, gives classes in the same subject as medical schools, is given at a medical school, and has some type of linkage (the best conditions would be auto-accept if you have a 3.x GPA in the SMP. Others should have a guaranteed interview, at the minimum.

Be prepared to relocate.

Reactions: 1 user