Will it Impact My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome237

Reaction score
I am a freshman and I am at risk of getting a C in a summer 1 course that I am taking. I have been getting A's and B's in previous classes, so will having one C on my record impact my chances of getting into medical school even if I continue to get straight A's and B's afterwards? Or is the cumulative GPA that actually matters, rather than one single bad grade in a Gen-Ed course?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting into medical school is a marathon, not a sprint. There will inevitably be small bumps along the road. One C is not the end of your career. However, if you do get a C, I would evaluate your study habits and try to determine whether there is anything you can do to improve.

I am a freshman and I am at risk of getting a C in a summer 1 course that I am taking. I have been getting A's and B's in previous classes, so will having one C on my record impact my chances of getting into medical school even if I continue to get straight A's and B's afterwards? Or is the cumulative GPA that actually matters, rather than one single bad grade in a Gen-Ed course?

It is your entire story that matters (grades/transcripts, MCAT, work and activities, personal statement, secondary essays).

Furthermore, as you said, you are at risk of getting a C. It's not set in stone yet, so buckle down and study on that summer course and try to raise it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright so
If you know you WILL get a C-range grade or worse, just withdraw now. One withdrawal is perfectly fine as long as you don't incur more in the future
If you think you can get a B- or better, stay in the class bro.

I wouldn't want a C impact on my GPA

You could fail that course and still get into medical school.

You don't need a 4.0 GPA