Will it matter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My application is complete - except for my DAT scores. I am scheduled to take it Aug. 18 and was wondering something...My GPA was verified this afternoon, so it should around 5 weeks before it is mailed out, right? So, is it going to matter if I take the DAT August 18th which would technically be probably close to 2 weeks before the mail out. The reason I am asking is because I am considering moving my test date to the end of August to give myself an extra week or two of studying. I mean, if I take the DAT as scheduled....the scores will probably sit there for a week anyway, b/c schools aren't going to care about the DAT until they get your GPA, right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
August 18th OR August 28th?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know and honestly, most of the people who will give you answers on here are probably only guessing as to what affect pushing it back will have. I'm not an admissions officer.

djeffreyt said:
I don't know and honestly, most of the people who will give you answers on here are probably only guessing as to what affect pushing it back will have. I'm not an admissions officer.

Did you ever push your date back?

Members don't see this ad :)
ADEA says three weeks to mail out official DAT scores. Check the websites for the schools to which you are applying and figure out when they normally interview. If you throw in a secondary app plus overall adcom review time of two weeks then you'll know what your timeline is.

I didn't push my DAT date back...no. I took it on July 18th. I was ready to be done with it. I was tired of studying, tired of looking at SDN posts to see what questions people posted explanations to. I was tired of waiting and tired of the anxiety, so I knew I should just get it over with.

I think if you give yourself a day (at least this is how I am...I won't generalize and say everyone or even you are just like me) to be ready, you will prepare for that day. If you push back, you will prepare pretty much the same, but for that later day. It may not even be a noticeable thing that you're not studying as hard as you would had you not pushed the date back, maybe your mind wanders a little more, you go and get coffee more often, you spend more time checking email, you put off reading a section until tomorrow cause your tired. I don't know who you are or how you study...the decision has to be yours since you know yourself better than anyone on this messageboard.