Will Michigan accept some CC work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enso

Dr. Troy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't need to see doc's CC link because it says "yes," but can anyone confirm this? I was perusing their website and I noticed this in the FAQ...

Q: Is it okay to do all of my prerequisite work at a community college?

A: No, the admissions committee prefers to see prerequisites taken at a four-year college or university.

So I guess they don't want all, but will they accept some?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't need to see doc's CC link because it says "yes," but can anyone confirm this? I was perusing their website and I noticed this in the FAQ...

A: No, the admissions committee prefers to see prerequisites taken at a four-year college or university.

What if you have strong GPA and good DAT scores? Getting some course works done at a CC truly saves you a lot on tuition though.

On SDN people, for the most part, agree that if you have good GPA at both CC and university and good DAT, d schools will go around their "recommendations." It is most likely not the case for some universities like BU, where they don't accept CC for pre-reqs at all (their policy).

Outside of SDN, I don't know how schools look at CC credits. However, logically speaking, it would be to the disadvantage of the school to reject a competitive applicant with pre-reqs from both CC and university solely based on the fact that CC credits are not appreciated.

For U Mich, I believe you will be ok if there are CC pre-reqs on your transcript if your university GPA and DAT are good.

Members don't see this ad :)
according to the 2008 ADEA Official guide to Dental Schools:

Yes, up to 60 cc credits. They also accept AP credit for rereqs.

Prior to taking microbiology at CC, I called Mich to ask about the same thing, and the lady told me to send her the course info. about the microbiology I am taking at CC. She said "it's ok" after checking it.

She asked me the reason I am taking it at CC, and I told her that my school does not offer it in this semester and time won't allow me to take it in next semester, which was true.