Will my 3.5 last semester stand out? (Upward trend)

Started by yeezuswest
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yeezuswest

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm currently going into my senior year and was wondering if someone could take a look at my GPA on a semester by semester basis. I'm looking to gauge my confidence for MD schools with the hope of applying by next June.

Freshman GPA: 2.5 (failed and retook calc 1)
Sophomore: 2.91
Junior: first semester 3.90
Second semester junior year: 3.50

I was wondering if this 3.50 my second semester would kind of be seen as a downward trend within an overall upward GPA. I overloaded on science classes (with lab), without taking any other courses, and ended up having 4 final exams within two days of each. How I made it out alive I don't even know...
 
Hi all, I'm currently going into my senior year and was wondering if someone could take a look at my GPA on a semester by semester basis. I'm looking to gauge my confidence for MD schools with the hope of applying by next June.

Freshman GPA: 2.5 (failed and retook calc 1)
Sophomore: 2.91
Junior: first semester 3.90
Second semester junior year: 3.50

I was wondering if this 3.50 my second semester would kind of be seen as a downward trend within an overall upward GPA. I overloaded on science classes (with lab), without taking any other courses, and ended up having 4 final exams within two days of each. How I made it out alive I don't even know...
AMCAS displays GPAs on a year-by-year basis, which will show your junior year as ~3.7 on your application. They do this for cGPA, BCPM GPA, and AO GPA. How will your yearly science/math GPAs look in that format?
 
Hi all, I'm currently going into my senior year and was wondering if someone could take a look at my GPA on a semester by semester basis. I'm looking to gauge my confidence for MD schools with the hope of applying by next June.

Freshman GPA: 2.5 (failed and retook calc 1)
Sophomore: 2.91
Junior: first semester 3.90
Second semester junior year: 3.50

I was wondering if this 3.50 my second semester would kind of be seen as a downward trend within an overall upward GPA. I overloaded on science classes (with lab), without taking any other courses, and ended up having 4 final exams within two days of each. How I made it out alive I don't even know...

Just keep at it. Do well senior year(3.8+) and the 3.5 isn't going to hold you back nearly as much. Many ADCOMS says it takes 3-4 strong semesters of work to convince them someone can handle medical school. That means acing next semester. If after next year you are at a point where over 4 semesters you have accumulated a 3.75+ GPA that will work in your favor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AMCAS displays GPAs on a year-by-year basis, which will show your junior year as ~3.7 on your application. They do this for cGPA, BCPM GPA, and AO GPA. How will your yearly science/math GPAs look in that format?

Okay this is kind of what I was most concerned about. If that's the case, then I guess it's not so bad if the jump is from a 2.9 to a 3.7 in one year (assuming I can go above a 3.7 senior year)

And I just included my BCPM GPA for the sake of simplicity, but my cGPA is probably around the same if not a little lower than the BCPM. Now when you look at it year by year, there's a nice upward trend, but cumulatively things start to look a little different, where I'll probably end up averaging out at around a 3.3.
 
Just keep at it. Do well senior year(3.8+) and the 3.5 isn't going to hold you back nearly as much. Many ADCOMS says it takes 3-4 strong semesters of work to convince them someone can handle medical school. That means acing next semester. If after next year you are at a point where over 4 semesters you have accumulated a 3.75+ GPA that will work in your favor.

That's reassuring, especially since I actually took the majority of my pre-med classes during my junior year and will finish them off this year.
 
A 3.3 isn't going to be helpful in applying to MD schools. Start investigating DO schools and do very well on your MCAT. If you absolutely have to have a MD behind your name you'll most likely need a SMP.
 
AMCAS displays GPAs on a year-by-year basis, which will show your junior year as ~3.7 on your application. They do this for cGPA, BCPM GPA, and AO GPA. How will your yearly science/math GPAs look in that format?

Is this the main source that adcoms use to inspect grades, or do adcoms tend to go a little more indepth and look at the transcript for trends in semesters/certain courses? Is a year over year upwards trend more important than performance on a semesterly-basis?
 
Is this the main source that adcoms use to inspect grades, or do adcoms tend to go a little more indepth and look at the transcript for trends in semesters/certain courses? Is a year over year upwards trend more important than performance on a semesterly-basis?
If an application overall GPA is sub par, I expect it would be highly likely that the transcript will be looked at carefully to see when the lower grades occurred. I doubt that individual term GPAs will be calculated by the observer.