Will my step 2 hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zzzosyn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will my step 2 hurt me?

USDO, 2nd Quartile, Step 1: 239 Step 2: 237

I just got me step 2 back today and it was a 237. Feels bittersweet since I got a 246 on UWSA2 right before, but my exam got cancelled and moved last second so I went in anxious and left thinking I failed, so I'll take it.

I'm applying anesthesiology this year and have already gotten interviews at some mid-tier academic spots. Will my step 2 coming back hurt my chances at these place and for more interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Agree.

OP: I applied Derm. I got a few points lower on Step 2 and had a mini meltdown moment. I got plenty of interviews. At least at the program I'm at, numbers help you get in the door, but your personality/interview get you a higher ranked spot...and a few points lower on Step 2 isn't going to generally affect the screening process for interview invites (maybe it would if you and someone else were the last two up to possibly be invited, had otherwise almost identical apps, but the other person had Step 2 that was higher...chances of that situation? You do the math). RARELY do we ever go back and discuss objective comparisons s/p interview.

Oh man, I just took step 2 and my goal was to hit 235 (my highest practice test was 234). For me this would be an improvement over my step 1 (raw score at least, not sure about percentile). I guess I should have been more ambitious :bear: